Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop missing features

Some questions (using Power BI Desktop and PBIRS ON premises server, Oct 2017).

1. Pin - this seems to work only in Power BI Services, not in Desktop. Why? Seems to me Microsoft is keeping features out of Desktop/ON premises landscape to force users to the Cloud, and make more money.
  2. Dashboard/embedding - this may be similar to the pinning issue. How can I create a Dashboard like summary view in Power BI Desktop. For example, I recently created a new solution with 2 views. I would like to create a 3rd view with a preview of the other 2 views (like when you embed subreports into a Main report in SSRS Reports).
  3. Hyperlinks - why can't I create a hyperlink or shortcut to a local file? When I do this in Power BI Desktop it work, as soon as I save my solution to the on premise server it no longer works (you can see the text of they Hyperlink, but the link doesn't work).
  4. Documents - is there any way to upload documents to a folder in PBIRS (like uploading/sharing in Sharepoint)? I would like to store PowerPoint or PDF tutorials in the same server and have them available via hyperlinks in the Dashboards.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

For you 2 first questions, it's because PowerBI Desktop is only there to create report, not dashboards. 

Creating reports on Desktop is more easy and it's more powerful with a lot more options.

For you last 2 questions, I will someone else answer them because I've never used PBI for that yet

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think Power BI Desktop will ever have such capabilities/features? If our company already pays for an on premise Power BI Report server, then I would expect being able to use this functionality. Making this only available in the Cloud, for a company requires additional money as you need to pay for users/licenses, plus you still encounter the security concerns of moving your reports/dashboards to the cloud, something that many companies are not prepared to do yet. Thanks for your response and help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

For you 2 first questions, it's because PowerBI Desktop is only there to create report, not dashboards. 

Creating reports on Desktop is more easy and it's more powerful with a lot more options.

For you last 2 questions, I will someone else answer them because I've never used PBI for that yet

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think Power BI Desktop will ever have such capabilities/features? If our company already pays for an on premise Power BI Report server, then I would expect being able to use this functionality. Making this only available in the Cloud, for a company requires additional money as you need to pay for users/licenses, plus you still encounter the security concerns of moving your reports/dashboards to the cloud, something that many companies are not prepared to do yet. Thanks for your response and help.

I fully understand what you are saying, because my company is going to use the cloud for my reports.

But as the gateway system is very strong and we are not displaying private datas (such a phone number / e mail) it will be ok.

Maybe in the future we will have such options, you can still try to post your idea here

Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to upload a report created in Desktop to Power BI service?

Yes it is possible, and apparently it is 100% safe (according to microsoft) 

You have to use the "Publish" button on the desktop version (and the report will appear on PowerBI serice)

Quentin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.