Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Marcel_G

Power BI Desktop for Reporting Server

Hi there,

For developing and publishing to Reporting Server you have to install Powerr BI desktop version for Reporting Server. 
But are there any differences between the regular desktop version and the desktop version for Reporting Server?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KBO
MVP

Yes there are many diffrents between the PBI Desktop for cloud and on premise - you can't find for example in the cloud version the upload button to the report server. Also in the cloud version you have many more features as in the report server version that dosen't work on the report server ;). So be carefully with the desktop client you like to use. My recommendation take the desktop that matches the program before you use features you can't use :).

Greetz Kathrin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KBO
MVP

Yes there are many diffrents between the PBI Desktop for cloud and on premise - you can't find for example in the cloud version the upload button to the report server. Also in the cloud version you have many more features as in the report server version that dosen't work on the report server ;). So be carefully with the desktop client you like to use. My recommendation take the desktop that matches the program before you use features you can't use :).

Greetz Kathrin

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @KBO

Is there any document that explains in what works in (1) Power BI Desktop and   (2) Power BI Desktop Report Server.

Understand drill down does not work in Power BI Dekstop Report Server ?  Like this the fine points that work in (1) above and not in (2) .

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also note that the current On-Prem PBI Desktop and PBI Report Server were released in early November 2017, so are 3 to 4 monthly interations behind the Cloud versions. This may mean new stuff you like the look of is not currently supported.

There is apparently a new version of the on-prem tools coming by the end of March, but that's not an official date as yet.

Rob

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it's on the same tact and seems a good place... Are there any serious compatiblilty issues between PBI Server Desktop and the more mainstream (and up-to-date) PBI Desktop (Cloud)? I recall in the early days that some versions of PBI Desktop were not forwards compatible. I.e. Old PBI couldn't open files that were built in more up-to-date versions of PBI.

I run a team that have been using PBI Desktop for a year or so and we've set up auto updates each month so that we're all running the latest version and the same version of the software. We never use the cloud service, other than for playing around with it.

However, we're now ready to move to on-prem as we've set up the server and therefore we all need the PBI Desktop (Server). I was simply going to install the PBI Desktop (Cloud) and set up regular installs to again ensure that we're all running the latest and same versions of the software. We can live with not having some of the later gizmos in the PBI Desktop (Cloud) version, but I'd hate not to be able to open some of the more recent reports we've built.

Cheers for any pointers.

The problem is the runtime of the server won't match the runtime of the desktop if you're using the cloud version, since that will constantly be getting new updates each month while the server stays static with whatever version you've installed.  It may end up working in some scenarios, but the more likely scenario is the report will be broken when you try to upload and not be viewable.  So, it's best to stay on the version of the desktop that matches the server version and simply update both at the same time whenever you are installing a server update.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.