Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Desktop Optimized for Power BI Report Server?

For those that are only running PBI RS (on-premise), are you able to save your reports to PBI RS using the regular PBI Desktop or are you having to use PBI Desktop Optimized for Power BI Report Server?  If you are having to use the Optimized version, where are you able to find the latest version of it? The latest version I can find is August 2017.

This post from October 31st states that "To download Power BI Report Server, and Power BI Desktop optimized for Power BI Report Server, go to On-premises reporting with Power BI Report Server".  Yet when you click on the link it takes you the Report Server download page, but that page says nothing about PBI Desktop Optimized for PBI RS.

Does anyone have an idea where to download the latest version of Power BI Desktop Optimized for Power BI Report Server, or if I even need to use it to save reports to the server.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56136

You can always find the matching desktop version by selecting download link in top-right of the PBI report server portal. 

Older or crossed versions MAY work, but you run the risk of incompatabilities.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
badesanya

Hello All,

I am new here and I need some help.

My organization would like to implement PowerBI for the payment industry but I have a question on  Power BI Desktop optimized for Power BI Report Server.

I would like to know if the recent version of the application supports direct connection to database or still insists on having a SSAS service.

I would also appreciate if there are any materials or video that teaches how to build cubes.

Thank you

Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56136

You can always find the matching desktop version by selecting download link in top-right of the PBI report server portal. 

Older or crossed versions MAY work, but you run the risk of incompatabilities.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.