Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

saeidadz

Power BI Desktop Error for Internet Facing Users

Hi

I've installed Power BI Repor Server October 2017 . all of local users that authenticate with AD working fine and all of reports publish Desktop App to Power BI server . I have some users that using AD account for Power BI WEB portal login , This users can't publish reports from PBI Desktop App to Power BI Server ! and got Unexpected error . I know this issue coming from user authentication cause I found Audit Failuer in event logs .

Is there any solutions for this issue ? 

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @saeidadz,

Could you provide more information about those "users that using AD account for Power BI WEB portal login"? What is the difference between "local users that authenticate with AD" and "using AD account for Power BI WEB portal login" in your scenario?

What is the error message? Please post a screenshot to show detailed error information. For those users that using AD account for Power BI WEB portal login, you siad they were not able to publish PBI reports to report server, can they log on Web portal successfully? To publish PBI reports to report server, do they have Power BI Pro license? Currently, Power BI report server is on-premises, available for internal users. Or you may need to configure Web Application Proxy to expose it to the internet.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

All of users that want connect to Power BI WEB Portal authenticate with AD account , ok ? so all of our users using AD account , there is no problem untile this stage . The problem accour when Internet facing user who working with their own laptop and want publish a report to Power BI server that created with Power BI Desktop ,  this users encountered error that I attached !

I was checked Windows Server event log and I realized , when this users tried publish a report , Power BI dekstop tries publsih report with local user ! this is problem !

bi.PNG

log.PNG

About your question : 

Currently, Power BI report server is on-premises, available for internal users. Or you may need to configure Web Application Proxy to expose it to the internet 

This service will working for Internet users . 

Saeidadz,

Did you happen to find a solution to this? this is the same issue I am having. PowerBI webportal is available via browser (IE, Chrome), user's can login and see the reports, but can't connect via PowerBI desktop. I'm assuming you're trying to go to file->open-> power bi server? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.