Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sudhavi_84
Helper V
Helper V

Power BI Datasets

Hi Experts,

We are using Power BI Reporting Server having SSEE with Software Assurance license.

Currently all our reports we upload in Visual Studio Github and then Prod Team will move into Prod.

So my question is can we still use Power BI Datasets? because we don't have access to workspace or anything.

As a dev we just having access to develop and connect SQL Source and bring the data but how can I create SQL Connection in Dataset and then reuse that dataset all the time please?

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

No you cannot shared datasets in Report Server like you can on the Power BI cloud service. The dataset inside a pbix file on Report Server cannot be accessed by any other report.

If you want to create a tabular data set that can be used across multiple reports then you could create these as SQL Server Analysis Services models. Then you can connect from multiple pbix or rdl reports to these models.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sudhavi_84
Helper V
Helper V

Great Thank you for letting me know. I am bit new to this. We have Visual Studio but seems like we don't have option to select SSAS on it. I may need to ask Admin and need to request them to get install or activate the analysis service tabular model in it. So we can create Star schema in SSAS and simply we can access from Power BI Get Data? I will check online too.

Please any good links to follow this?

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

No you cannot shared datasets in Report Server like you can on the Power BI cloud service. The dataset inside a pbix file on Report Server cannot be accessed by any other report.

If you want to create a tabular data set that can be used across multiple reports then you could create these as SQL Server Analysis Services models. Then you can connect from multiple pbix or rdl reports to these models.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors