Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kiran_yed
Employee
Employee

Power BI DAX Join error

Trying to join two tables based on a column name 'User_Id'.  'User_Id' column is present in both the tables for join purpose, but why is the below error coming? This error is same with NATURAL LEFT OUTER Join and NATURAL INNER JOIN.. Capture.PNG

Please Help! 

Thanks,

Kiran

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Right, so oddly enough you can't have columns with the same names when joining tables in DAX. You usually use something like SELECTCOLUMNS to not change the names of the columns (trust me, it doesn't make sense but it works). This is explained very well in @Phil_Seamark 's book, Beginning DAX with Power BI on pages 118-121.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg, But can you tell me how does NATURALINNERJOIN work in my situation. what's the use of NATURALINNERJOIN and NATURAL LEFT OUTER JOIN, 

my sample table schema:

Table1: Partner_ID, User_Id

Table2: User_Id, User_Name,UserEmailId

can you please tell me how to inner join these two tables on User_Id?

Thanks in advance

@Greg_Deckler wrote:

Right, so oddly enough you can't have columns with the same names when joining tables in DAX. You usually use something like SELECTCOLUMNS to not change the names of the columns (trust me, it doesn't make sense but it works). This is explained very well in @Phil_Seamark 's book, Beginning DAX with Power BI on pages 118-121.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.