Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rkapukaya
Helper I
Helper I

PoweBI report server connection string issue for pbix reports

I am using powerbi report server. (october 2020 version)
Connection strings come different according to who publish it.

We are 2 developers and developing on same application server with different logins.

Here are steps;
for me;
- Source db oracle 12c and clients installed (32 & 64 bit)
- Creating new report using powerbi desktop on application server
- Publishing into report server.
- Login test on report server ; Report -> Manage -> Data Source / user credentials with basic auth. (we are using Chrome & IE)
- Connection string is : data source=dwhdb;persist security info=True

for my teammate;
- Source db oracle 12c and clients installed (32 & 64 bit)
- Creating new report using powerbi desktop on application server
- Publishing into report server.
- Login test on report server ; Report -> Manage -> Data Source / user credentials with basic auth. (we are using Chrome & IE)
- Connection string is : dwhdb

So here is the issue; end user can display my published reports but can not display my teammate's published reports. How does powerbi create
connection string? Also i can not edit connection string on powerbi report server, it is uneditable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rkapukaya ,

I don't think the connection string is the cause of the issue. And we can't edit the connection string on power bi report server. It can only be edit in power bi desktop for rs before you upload the report to the report server.  Setting Persist Security Info true or false will come into effect only if you mention username and password in the connection string. If you mention username and password in the connection string and set Persist Security Info as false then the credentials cannot be extracted, but if you set Persist Security Info as true while giving credentials in the connection string, windows will remember the credentials, and it can be extracted programmatically.

You need to check if the end user have the view permission of the report  in the security option of the report.  Please refer to the role in report server: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/role-definitions-predefined-roles?v...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rkapukaya ,

I don't think the connection string is the cause of the issue. And we can't edit the connection string on power bi report server. It can only be edit in power bi desktop for rs before you upload the report to the report server.  Setting Persist Security Info true or false will come into effect only if you mention username and password in the connection string. If you mention username and password in the connection string and set Persist Security Info as false then the credentials cannot be extracted, but if you set Persist Security Info as true while giving credentials in the connection string, windows will remember the credentials, and it can be extracted programmatically.

You need to check if the end user have the view permission of the report  in the security option of the report.  Please refer to the role in report server: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/role-definitions-predefined-roles?v...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors