Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

malikirfan28
Helper II
Helper II

Permission issue with custom security extension (Form Authentication)

Hello, 

I have enabled custom security authentication (form authenticatioin) in on-premises PBIRS and it is working fine. I can successfully register new user and then can login with it. However as soon as I login, a message is displayed:

You are not allowed to view this folder. Contact your administrator to obtain the necessary permissions.

I know, I have to grant permission to this new user in PBIRS (Site Settings) but I am unable to login with Windows Administrator (Builten\Administrator  OR  MachineName\Administrator) account as PBIRS is configured with custom security. So how can I login with Administrator here?

If I remove custome security settings and then login with Windows (Administrator) account then my custom users can not be found when trying to add "User or group" in site settings. So please need some expert guidance to resolve this permission issue.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @malikirfan28,

Which account is the administrator role with forms authentication? You said you can successfully register new user and then can login with it, did you assign an admin role to it?

Please have a look at this similar thread

Custom Form Authentication in SSRS 2012

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear @v-yulgu-msft,

Thank you for your message. Part of my problem has been resolved and I have assigned one user under Extension -> Security -> AdminConfiguration in RsReportServer.Config. 

However we have multiple users and each user is supposed to be entitled to (view only) his own dashboards/reports and all dashboard should not be visible to him. So Under Site Settings -> Security, I have assigned "System User" role to the respective User. This user can now login into the system but no dashboard is visible to him. 

So how can we assign only few dashboard's VIEW ONLY entitlements to this user (Not complete folder)?

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.