Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Passing parameters to a Power BI report in Power BI Report Server

We currently have dashboards built using SSRS that link to different reports and display data per the parameters passed. 

e.g. A user based on their role may have access (controlled using row-level security in SSAS Tabular model) to multiple Accounts. Choosing an Account display a 360 dashboard with all key metrics for that Account. User can then click on individual links to take to say Billing report for that Account or Contract details for that account etc. 

We would like to now create some reports using Power BI and link to them via the 360 dashboard. Can we pass a filter to a Power BI Report via the URL so it is filtered by that parameter? 

I checked this out -> https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-url-filters/

However that didn't seem to work on a Power BI Report server report.  

Is there a way to achieve what we want?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Unfortunately this is currently not supported but it is on our backlog and it something we hope to get to soon.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
flopi
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

if you are using SSAS  as a source, you could use customdata() as a part of the connection string and then filter the data at the source out. Otherwise, RLS should be used.

ASAIK firing the SP and getting the filtered result cannot work by design. But maybe I'm wrong

BR Bobi

Anonymous
Not applicable

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This is NOT a power bi report.  It's an RDL report which has had that functionality always.   This is a badly needed feature in Power BI Report Server .  MSFT needs to implement it.     PLEASE ask for it.

andymc123
Advocate III
Advocate III

Not sure I agree with the accepted solution on this one.  Maybe it shouldn't have the green check mark on it if the answer is "This functionality is not yet supported"...it should be left "unsolved"

hamedtabari
Regular Visitor

http://PowerBIServer/Reports/powerbi/ReportPathAndName?filter=QueryName/Column eq 'USERNAME'

PowerBIServer: BI Server URL

ReportPathAndName: Report path and name eg: Type1/ProjectProgress

QueryName: Query Name

Column: Column using in Query eg: username

USERNAME: User Name or any value you want filter data

hamedtabari
Regular Visitor

http://PowerBIServer/Reports/powerbi/ReportPathAndName?filter=QueryName/Column eq 'USERNAME'

PowerBIServer: BI Server URL

ReportPathAndName: Report path and name eg: Type1/ProjectProgress

QueryName: Query Name

Column: Column using in Query eg: username

USERNAME: User Name or any value you want filter data

arunkumar112
Frequent Visitor

How we can pass dax function username() to sql query query to fetch data only for logged in user?

How we can pass dax function username or userprinciple name to sql query to retrive data for power BI report. We don't want to load all data then apply filter. only load data only for logged in user name. 

Using procedure 

RetriveDataForLoggedInUser(@StartDate,@EndDate, @LoggedInUserName)

Row level securty work when data is loaded completely in power BI.

Please suggest?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have an update on this?  We need to be able to filter data in PBI ReportServer reports.  If this is not going to be implemented, it could be the last nail in the coffin for using Power BI in my organization.  We need to be able to filter data based on user credentials through parameters.

I did not get response on this, may be there is no such feature yet. which is most required. Analysing in entire data is very dificult.

Any update on the above request?

devrodriguez

Have you found how pass parameters  to a Power BI report in Power BI Report Server?

From parameter I mean to say to take input from end user like from textbox, click on a button and the results will be shown to the end user. Are you sure this feature is there in current version of Power BI. If so, can you share links to that tutorial?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a solution I just tested:

create a new coloumn AAA for example

AAA = "URL?filter=Table/Column eq " & "'" & ColumnName & "'"

URL is the url of the report that you want to open

Table is the Table name of the data you want to filter in teh target report (no space accepted as I remembered but I am sure this can be tricked a little)

Column is the Column name of the data you want to filter in the target report

ColumnName is teh name of teh column from the initial report that you will to provide to filter the value

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Unfortunately this is currently not supported but it is on our backlog and it something we hope to get to soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

is there any updates about this issue?

i have a report that loads many rows 

i want the users to pick the start date and end date and just then run the query

is it possible already ?

thanx

Auy update on the below request

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

is there any updates about this issue?

i have a report that loads many rows 

i want the users to pick the start date and end date and just then run the query

is it possible already ?

thanx

That functionality it's already implemented?. If not when do you think it's ready or what options you give me to supply the functionality?

Hi Team,

I need to create a power BI report and provide user to input parameters of there choicoe so that they can search for desired results. Currently I don't think this feature is supported in Power BI. Can you share when can we expect this to be provided? My clients want this feature in high demand.

Thanks,

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.