Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srikanthgunnam
Helper I
Helper I

Passing Parameters to a Paginated Report from Power BI Report

Hello

I have a report built in Power BI with some filters. When the user apply few filters and click print button, those filters selected on the Power BI report should be passed as a Parameters to Paginated Report through URL. Is it possible to do so? Can someone help me with this?

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Yes this is possible. First you have to create a measure that will generate the URL, then you can link this to a button. When you create the measure you may need to think about issues such as what happens when a user picks multiple values and SSRS only expects 1 or what happens when a user does not pick a value from a slicer (maybe you want to set a default value)

In the following measure I am using SELECTEDVALUE to pull a category from a slicer and if nothing is selected or more than one category is selected the value will default to -1 and I'm getting the min and max dates from a between date slicer and formatting them appropriately for passing on a url.

Report URL = 
var _category = SELECTEDVALUE(Category[CategoryID],-1)
var _dateFrom = FORMAT(MIN('Date'[Date]),"yyyy-MM-dd")
var _dateTo = FORMAT(MAX('Date'[Date]), "yyyy-MM-dd")
return "http://localhost/ReportServer?/Test/ParameterTest&rs:Command=Render&pCategory=" & _category & "&pDateFrom=" & _dateFrom & "&pDateTo=" & _dateTo

Then in your button set the action type to "Web URL", click on the 3 vertical dots above the WebURL text box and  choose the conditional formatting option and then select the measure you just created. In the example above I'm opening a report on my local server called ParameterTest that is sitting in a folder called Test.

The above url format works for on-premise reports, if you are using Power BI Premium reports in the cloud you would use a url format like the one in this blog post https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/url-parameters-for-paginated-reports-are-now-available/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power BI October Update 2021.jpg

Power BI Release

Click here to read more about the October 2021 Release!

Microsoft Ignite 768x460.png

Find your focus

Explore the latest tools,training sessions,technical expertise, networking and more.

Power BI Womens Summit 2021 768 x460.jpg

Interviews, learning sessions, allies, and more!

#PowerBIWomenSummit

Teds Dev Camp Oct. 2021 768x460.jpg

Power BI Dev Camp - October 28th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!