Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bheltzel

Pass Username/Password on iFrame Embed with Report Server

Can I pass a Username and Password for a system account to my embedded iFrame on my web application? With my current imlpementation, I can only view the iFrame if the app is on my local machine where I am prompted for credentials. When the app is deployed to the server, nothing loads because I am not able to provide credentials.

If it is not possible to pass the paramaters, is there any way in the current offering to embed a Power BI report from Report Server in my web application? Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
manceelee
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue

anyone have solution to authenticate this, right now i can only make this work by passing the username & password through querystring, and modify the page_load on report.  Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you pass the credentials? Can u please share ur solution ?

Pass encrypted session ID (you can use different mechanism) through js post method call, and authenticate the user in logon.aspx page_load, also you can check the url referr to insure the traffic is coming from your server.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, really appreciate this answer. Can you explain a little more in detail?

Pass encrypted session ID (you can use different mechanism) through js post method call, and authenticate the user in logon.aspx page_load, also you can check the url referr to insure the traffic is coming from your server.  

genovazquez
Regular Visitor

Have you been able to figure this out? Or are you waiting on Microsoft for a solution?

I'm trying to do the same thing than you.

Thanks, 

genovazquez
Regular Visitor

Have you been able to figure this out? Or are you waiting on Microsoft for a solution?

I'm trying to do the same thing than you.

Thanks, 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bheltzel,

For a Power BI report URL, you can add a query string parameter of ?rs:Embed=true.

http://myserver/reports/powerbi/Sales?rs:embed=true

Once you have your URL, you can create an iFrame within a web page, to host the report. 

<iframe width="800" height="600" src="http://myserver/reports/powerbi/Sales?rs:embed=true" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

For more details, please see:

Embedding Power BI Reports with Power BI Report Server

Embed Power BI Report Server reports into extranet apps

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Little bit hint:

Simple Add 

https://username:password@url

Hi Yuliana, thanks for the reply. I actually have completed these steps from the documentation already and they are working as expected. My issue is that the Report Server requires credentials to see the report. How can I pass the credentials in the application so that any user (even ones that don't have access to the report server) can view the report?

Hi @bheltzel,

As mentioned in above link, 

The user who is connecting to your custom app also needs to have access to the Power BI report on the report server, this is great for internal applications but harder for extranet scenario’s. A solution to this is also on the road map.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Has there been any progress here?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.