Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Boka
Frequent Visitor

Paginated Reports Stopped Working with PBI RS (September 2021)

After upgrading from May to September 2021 paginated reports stopped working. It looks like Kerberos problem with message "Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'". Data source is configured to log as the user viewing the report.

I had no problem in previous versions. I mean everything is well configured and it was working fine until this upgrade.

Additional info:

We have one server with both SQL Report Server 2016 and Power BI Report Server. I can't create data source to connect to any other SQL server neither on RS nor PBI RS.

Another server with Report Server 2016 only is working normally and I can create data source.

Both servers run a service under the same domain user account and SPN is registered for that account!

Last news: 

I recreated problem with newely installed server. First, I install SQL 2019 CU 12 and PBI RS May. Services are running under the same domain account as all other servers I mentioned before. Created one simple report with remote db as data source. Report is giving result, data source can be tested on server. After upgrade to September 2021 I'm getting Login failed! Config file is correct- RSWindowsNegotiate is still first entry in authentication section.

Any idea why mutual authentication stopped working!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi ,

This issue was causing due to Kerberos double hop failure in edge browser and it got mitigated by enabling recommended constrained delegation.  It's not actually related to PBIRS September 2021 upgrade. 

Thank You!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Petebro
Employee
Employee

Thank you for the additional information we are still investigating to find a solution.

Marcin_PL
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

I also observed the problem with authenticating type "as the user viewing the report" after September 2021 upgrade in:

-SQL Direct Query connection (error details: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.)

- AnalysisServices Tabular Model connection (error details: The connection either timed out or was lost.)

Both of them works ok with "using the following credentials" method. Anyway, I would like to continue using  "as the user viewing the report" method in few reports so I need to find some workaround.

Regards,

Marcin

Hi @Marcin_PL ,

While we were running portal in IE mode everything was fine. But September 2021 doesn't support IE anymore and switch to Edge mode in combination with Kerberos configured to use open delegation raise error. After implementing constrained delegation we solved this issue.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

This is troubling to read about for sure. I think the best course of action is to follow up with support since it will require environment specific information and I don't want you to have to publically disclose that here on the community section. 

In addition I will file a ticket to investigate this on our side.

Boka
Frequent Visitor

Case is opened.

But I'd like to add newest info. I found that all reports are working properly if I run web service virtual directory in IE11 instead of web portal. 

If you get some idea i'll be happy to test.

Hi ,

This issue was causing due to Kerberos double hop failure in edge browser and it got mitigated by enabling recommended constrained delegation.  It's not actually related to PBIRS September 2021 upgrade. 

Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.