Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gwhiteman
Frequent Visitor

Paginated Report slow first time it is run (Power BI Report Server -on prem)

I have several paginated reports that are very small and quick to run.
I have loaded them onto our Power BI Report Server (on prem) and noticed that first time take >30 seconds to run.
After that first run, they run return almost immediately. 

These are the only two paginated reports and they are NOT in high use. I am assuming the service is starting up for during the first 30 seconds. Is there a way I can 'warm up' the service? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@gwhiteman wrote:

I am assuming the service is starting up for during the first 30 seconds. Is there a way I can 'warm up' the service? 

I do not believe this is the source of your issue. I've never witnessed this sort of issue on any of our Report Server environments.

I would suggest checking the ExecutionLog3 view in the ReportServer database for these reports. This should give you a breakdown of the query time and the rendering time for each report run. One other possibility is that this could be caused by a delay in authenticating to the source database.

But if you don't see any difference in the ExecutionLog3 view then I would suggest checking the Report Server log files as there may be some messages in there that will give you a hint as to what is causing this delay.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@gwhiteman wrote:

I am assuming the service is starting up for during the first 30 seconds. Is there a way I can 'warm up' the service? 

I do not believe this is the source of your issue. I've never witnessed this sort of issue on any of our Report Server environments.

I would suggest checking the ExecutionLog3 view in the ReportServer database for these reports. This should give you a breakdown of the query time and the rendering time for each report run. One other possibility is that this could be caused by a delay in authenticating to the source database.

But if you don't see any difference in the ExecutionLog3 view then I would suggest checking the Report Server log files as there may be some messages in there that will give you a hint as to what is causing this delay.

Hi @gwhiteman ,

could you please let me know how you resolved this issue, i am also facing this issue. Initially it take around 45 - 50 secs in later runs its coming under 25 secs.

Hi @Kunalkawale,
I don't recall what was done to resolve this problem as I did not install/maintain the servers. I vaguely remember we changed some HA settings and update our Oracle drivers. Sorry I can't be of more help. \]

PowerBI Report Server and SSRS are trying to reach out for some MS metric servers on first report execution. You can monitor this in your browser and disable it by configuration or regedit. In my case this was the cause for slow initial report loading while the firewall didnt allow it and the requests timed out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors