cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Paginated Report Builder Oracle Data Source Connectivity issues

It's surprising that Microsoft is not providing any support on how to connect this tool to Oracle DB. I've been looking around on how to connect to Power BI Report Builder for a day now and couldn't get proper direction.

Microsoft Support... please help!

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you @bradsy I tried with the approach mentioned in the article, but the Report Builder tool throws the error ORA-12154: TNS : could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

Not sure, if its the problem with the current version of Power BI Report Builder.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks once again @bradsy I checked the TNS_ADMIN and tnsnames.ora file and it looks correct. Also, I tried from SQL Developer and could connect from the tool as well. I tried connecting to my SQL Plus session using tnsnames.ora file, which exists in the same path set in TNS_ADMIN environment variable.

Not sure, what am I missing here.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

We did some more research. It looks like there is a bug with processing new reports that connect to Oracle. Existing reports seem to work fine. We have not figured out where the issue is, but if you have existing reports and you create a new report, check the connection string properties. There may be something there. We will fix for next update, which is looking to be around January time frame. 

If you are editing and working with existing reports and having a problem, that is a new issue, let us know.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks much @bradsy for helping me resolve the issue with Oracle DB connectivity. At present we don't have any existing reports developed in Power BI Report Builder. We're developing first paginated reports using this tool. Is it possible to get the sample conection string if there is one?

But, the question is, since there is a bug within the tool, will the connection string work as well?

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

The older Report Builder looks to work correctly with Oracle, does not have the bug. Can you try that:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53613

It does not work with Power BI Server however.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you @bradsy  for the download link of the earlier version of Report Builder. I installed and tried to configure the Oracle connection. However, the "build" button is disabled when "Oracle Database" is selected as Data Source. It seems like the Connection Driver for Oracle is not available in this release

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

We are having the same issue with report builder for report server and an oracle connection.  Has the bug been resolved in Report Builder?  Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

This will be a conference that you do not want to miss!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Don't miss the Power BI Dev Camp this week!

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.