Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bhughes_5411

PWA ODATA Credentials

I have a customer that is trying to connect his On-Prem PWA. He is trying to use a refresh account that has the least amount of privlidges.  Everytime he tries it fails to authenticate.  What permissions should an account have in PWA to connect to PWA ODATA?

Error message:

Couldn't connect

The report server couldn't connect to the data source using the information you entered. Make sure you've entered the connection string and any credentials correctly.

Log on failed. Ensure the user name and password are correct.

6 REPLIES 6
akohonen
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. Works in PowerBI desktop (after making myself admin for PWA) and with organizational account sign in. But does not work in PowerBI service.

gyangupta
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am encountering same issue, no option to choose organization account for Data Source Sign on in Power BI Report Server,

ITGeek555
Helper II
Helper II

Given the fact that I do not know what information is being reported upon I can only provide a generic response.

As part of "proving the pipes" temporarily increase the refresh account PWA rights to admin and see if it works.  That being proven, the refresh account would need readonly rights to the PWA sites (all of them?).  If so, then the refresh account will need to be added to each site (and granted the same access in the template site so new sites have the access).  A better way would be to access the PWA reporting schema in the PWA database (if the required data resides there).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I have already granted admin rights to the PBI service account in at the top-level PWA site collection and this is how I am able to schedule the refresh of my SharePoint data.  I can connect directly to my PWA SQL reporting database and setup the data refresh with the service account but I was trying to use OData so it would eventually be migratable from our PWA on-prem environment to the cloud.

Have you confirmed that PWA supports OData?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue.  Using an org. account, I am connecting to my on-prem PWA data using REST API calls in Power BI Desktop.  After the report is published to the PBI Report Server, I cannot find a method to refresh the data. 

I can easily refresh (PWA) SharePoint list data using my PBI service account and thought I would be able to do the same thing with an OData data source.  Does anyone have a solution or workaround for this?  Why is this so hard?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.