Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johncpratt
Advocate II
Advocate II

PNG images not displaying in paginated reports using PBIRS Aug 17 Preview

I just migrated an SSRS 2016 Enterprise installation to Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) using the August 2017 Preview.  It is on-premises and fully licensed.  Happily, almost all existing paginated report functions appear to be working, subscriptions run, and the existing branding was retained.

The one issue I have found is that PNG images do not display, while JPG and GIF images do display.  Most of my images are PNG format, so this is a significant issue.

All images I use are stored in an \Images folder under the root of the Report Manager, and rendered at runtime using the =Globals!ReportServerUrl & "?/Images/[image filename here]" syntax.  I am using VS 2015 Enterprise as the report dev tool.

I have produced a generic report that references images in both the report header and body as I do in my actual reports.  The following is what it looks like under PBIRS:

PNG images not appearing in paginated report using PBIRS Aug 17 PreviewPNG images not appearing in paginated report using PBIRS Aug 17 Preview

And this is what the same report looks like under regular SSRS 2016:

SSRS 2016SSRS 2016

This is currently a showstopper for deployment to production.  I know a previous release was supposed to fix image rendering issues in Power BI reports, but these are existing paginated reports.  Changing to embedded images is not an option.  Changing everything to JPG or GIF is a very last resort kind of thing since every image in every report using the changed images would have to be modified. 

I need a direction or resolution in the next week or so since I will need to roll back my test database server to a snapshot backup before moving on with other dev projects.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rpatkar
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi John,

Please manually update your ReportServer database's ConfigurationInfo table and add "png" in TrustedFileFormat. That should fix this issue. We are looking into adding adding PNG as a trusted file format by default for GA release coming later this year.

Thanks,

Rohit

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
rpatkar
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi John,

Please manually update your ReportServer database's ConfigurationInfo table and add "png" in TrustedFileFormat. That should fix this issue. We are looking into adding adding PNG as a trusted file format by default for GA release coming later this year.

Thanks,

Rohit

Thanks Rhoit (@rpatkar)!  The table and column data were easy to find.  I added ", png" to the end of the existing list of field names following the convention used for the others, and it worked perfectly.  My demo report and two others I had specifically tested with are now working.

It will be great to have PNG in there by default, but this is a very easy workaround.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.