Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BenMackin
Helper I
Helper I

PBRS March Update breaking existing RDL reports that use LOOKUP function

It looks like something in the March update for Power BI Report Server is causing a breaking issue on RDL/SSRS reports that utilize the Lookup function (or it's derivatives LookupSet or MultiLookup).

For example, I have a column defined as:

=SUM(Fields!Loan_Balance.Value) / Lookup(Fields!Year_and_Month_and_Group.Value,Fields!Year_and_Month_and_Group.Value,Fields!Customer_Count.Value,"ReportDetails_Summary")

In the October release of PowerBI Report server, this works just fine, and returns the values I would expect. Also in Visual Studio 2015 with SSDT 14.0.61712.050, the report will preview just fine.

However, when I deploy this report to an upgraded server running the March release of Power BI Report Server, the column just returns with an "#Error". I can't seem to find anything in the log file that shws why this is an error. If I remove the SUM component, and just use the lookup, I get back a value. But for some reason the combination of the two functions doesn't work on the latest version.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The changelog should be updated soon but to answer your question yes this build addresses the nested Lookup function expression errors as well as several other bug fixes.

View solution in original post

I just wanted to confirm that the latest build:

Version 1.2.6690.34729 (Build 15.0.2.402)

Does indeed fix the issues we were having. At this point, we are going to be moving this to our produciton instances, as it has passed all of our internal regressions.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

I just wanted to confirm that the latest build:

Version 1.2.6690.34729 (Build 15.0.2.402)

Does indeed fix the issues we were having. At this point, we are going to be moving this to our produciton instances, as it has passed all of our internal regressions.

Ben, we were having the same problem and Build 15.0.2.402 update resolved it.

May I ask how you found out an update was available for this?

Len

A few posts above this, @mgmeyer posted that a fix would be posted shortly that addressed this issue:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/PBRS-March-Update-breaking-existing-RDL-reports-that-u...

Then @Anonymous posted that he saw the update was made available:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/PBRS-March-Update-breaking-existing-RDL-reports-that-use-LOOKUP/m-p/407318/highlight/true#M5407

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just happened to check Microsoft's download page for PBI ReportServer on Monday morning.  Lucky timing!

I'm running into the same issue after installing Power BI Report Server version 1.2.6660.39920 (Build 15.0.2.389) released March 28, 2018.

We have an expression that uses the MultiLookup function to filter the data in a matrix. When the report is run on the March 2018 version of Power BI Report Server it returns the following error: Failed to evaluate the FilterExpression of the Tablix ‘tblxName’. (rsFilterEvaluationError). However, the report runs fine on the October 2017 version of Power BI Report Server and in Visual Studio.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mgmeyer Thank you for your confirmation that, unfornunately, this bug/issue hasn't been solved in the latest patch.

I am convident that Microsoft will deliver a patch at a short term notice to solve this bug as well.

Anyway: Happy Eastern!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mgmeyer Is there already a date known when this bug will be fixed in a new patch? Our Power BI-report-designers are getting a bit impatient...

Thank you for feedback.

If there is anything I can provide to assist (RDL files, log files, etc) please let me know.

Thank you for calling this out, Ben. You may have just saved our team a significant amount of pain. I suspect a decent number of our paginated reports are using LOOKUP functions but I'll have to confirm next week.

Awesome.

If there are any log files, or stack trace files, that I can send let me know. More than willing to help out troubleshoot.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.