Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Retriever
Frequent Visitor

PBIRS Windows Authentication doesn't require AD prefix?

I'm in the process of testing PBIRS as a potential switch from SSRS, and things seem to be going well. One of the shocking things that I've found is that seemingly, PBIRS doesn't require an AD\ prefix for native mode authentication. It just "knows" and I can enter only the username. SSRS has always required that we include the prefix. I'm using the same report server, just a different instance. 

Is this an actual feature of PBIRS? I've been looking around for some documentation of this difference, but can't find it. I can't tell if it's a fluke or a feature. If it's a feature, it's a really nice change. Remembering AD\ is one of our most common user issues with SSRS. Maybe there's some hidden setting in SSRS that I've just been missing for all of these years. 

Hopefully, someone can chime in that they see the same behavior and it's not just me and my test accounts. I keep trying to trip it up and it just seems to work fine. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
teconsultant
Regular Visitor

We recently upgraded from SSRS 2014 to PBIRS May 2019 edition.  Some of our customers are on the same domain as the PBIRS server, and they don't require a login at all.  Chrome and Firefox browsers are able to login without the domain\username, and Internet Explorer/Edge browsers do require domain\username.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
teconsultant
Regular Visitor

We recently upgraded from SSRS 2014 to PBIRS May 2019 edition.  Some of our customers are on the same domain as the PBIRS server, and they don't require a login at all.  Chrome and Firefox browsers are able to login without the domain\username, and Internet Explorer/Edge browsers do require domain\username.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.