cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

PBIRS Windows Authentication doesn't require AD prefix?

I'm in the process of testing PBIRS as a potential switch from SSRS, and things seem to be going well. One of the shocking things that I've found is that seemingly, PBIRS doesn't require an AD\ prefix for native mode authentication. It just "knows" and I can enter only the username. SSRS has always required that we include the prefix. I'm using the same report server, just a different instance. 

Is this an actual feature of PBIRS? I've been looking around for some documentation of this difference, but can't find it. I can't tell if it's a fluke or a feature. If it's a feature, it's a really nice change. Remembering AD\ is one of our most common user issues with SSRS. Maybe there's some hidden setting in SSRS that I've just been missing for all of these years. 

Hopefully, someone can chime in that they see the same behavior and it's not just me and my test accounts. I keep trying to trip it up and it just seems to work fine. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: PBIRS Windows Authentication doesn't require AD prefix?

We recently upgraded from SSRS 2014 to PBIRS May 2019 edition.  Some of our customers are on the same domain as the PBIRS server, and they don't require a login at all.  Chrome and Firefox browsers are able to login without the domain\username, and Internet Explorer/Edge browsers do require domain\username.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: PBIRS Windows Authentication doesn't require AD prefix?

We recently upgraded from SSRS 2014 to PBIRS May 2019 edition.  Some of our customers are on the same domain as the PBIRS server, and they don't require a login at all.  Chrome and Firefox browsers are able to login without the domain\username, and Internet Explorer/Edge browsers do require domain\username.  

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Super Users of the Quarter - Q2 2020

Super Users of the Quarter - Q2 2020

Who are our Super User Superstars? Who made it to the top of the leaderboards? Get the answers!

June 2020 Community Highlights

June 2020 Community Highlights

Featured community members, changes to the Community, and more! Read up on recent Power BI community news.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors