Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBIRS Scheduled Refresh Error - January 2021

Hi Power BI Report Server Community,

We upgraded to Power BI Report Server January 2021 and everything seemed to work fine. I was able to publish and refresh with the desktop version. I checked reports and they refreshed.
But later, I realised that not all are refreshing successfully. Some are appearing with an error.

SessionID: 10bcf9ee-3a28-4bf1-897e-ac93544e046d
[0] -1055784932: The module named 'Html' has been disabled in this context.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[1] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

I removed any reference to HTML webpage retrievals, and I now get this.

SessionID: db646af2-2713-40c4-b06c-28889e716a72
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[1] -1055129594: The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.

When I go to the data sources, they are all there and when I click test connection, they are all successful.

We are on New Version : 1.10.7698.27886 (January 2021)

Upgrading from Old Version : 1.6.7364.4075 (January 2020)

Is anyone able to assist.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
kelvinlch95
Regular Visitor

I encounter the same issue for 

COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.

Jan 2021 version when I upgrade from Oct 2020 version.
I fix this issue by uninstall Power BI Report Server and drop the ReportServer database and install Jan 2021 again. 

View solution in original post

blynchdata
Resolver I
Resolver I

My Scheduled Refreshes were getting a similar error. The SQL Server Service Pack I was on was very outdated. Once we updated that last week to the most recent one, my Scheduled Refreshes now work. We are running SQL Server 2016.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
blynchdata
Resolver I
Resolver I

My Scheduled Refreshes were getting a similar error. The SQL Server Service Pack I was on was very outdated. Once we updated that last week to the most recent one, my Scheduled Refreshes now work. We are running SQL Server 2016.

Thanks for the input, this helped us.

kelvinlch95
Regular Visitor

I encounter the same issue for 

COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.

Jan 2021 version when I upgrade from Oct 2020 version.
I fix this issue by uninstall Power BI Report Server and drop the ReportServer database and install Jan 2021 again. 

pdbenbow
Resolver II
Resolver II

I'm getting a similar COM error as well:

[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource ods_prod is not found..

It will also tell me there were no credentials found, even though credentials are stored and validated for all data sources.

All data sources are in their correct place, named correctly, and the accounts we're using have the appropriate permissions with line of sight to the either the database servers or network locations where the files are stored.

PBIRS Version 1.10.7698.27886 (January 2021)

PBI Desktop Version: 2.88.1382.0 64-bit (January 2021)

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For the first error, this is caused by the limitation of Power BI Report Server. Currently, the html module is not available in Power BI Report Server.

Reference: The module named 'Html' has been disabled in this ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Microsoft

The html module is not available in Power Bi Report Server, this prevents refresh o reports that use data directly from html (if by the other hand you use well formatted data from web, such as CSv, xml, json refreshes should work fine). Can you confirm if your refreshes were working in previous releases? In the meantime we are clarifying in documentation exactly which m expressions are supported during refresh:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources

Thanks

gboreki

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Icey 

Thank you for your reply.
I had realised that via my research and removed as stated above but could not get the second part going with the COM error.
It works on the desktop and the credentials state they are successful in the data source section, but the reports fail to refresh.
Any idea why?

Hi @Anonymous - a few things:

1. What datasource(s) are you using?
  2. Would you be able to turn on verbose logging per Troubleshoot scheduled refresh in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs ? We added some verbose logs that can help to uncover why this is happening
  3. If possible remove the existing report from PBIRS, re-upload the report, and re-enter credentials 
    1. Try to refresh, and if it fails, capture the logs from ASEngineManagedRoot at that time.
    2. If you wouldn't mind, feel free to send me the logs with the verbose entries included in a direct message and I can take a look.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gsprague,

same problem here: a PowerBI report deployed on a PreProduction PBIRS server, pointing to msdb on Production server. The report itself works fine; its planned schedulation throws this error:

SessionID: 7cf993dc-d568-4153-9eb5-ef1b456ab66d
[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
[1] -1055129594: The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.

I'e modded ReportingServicesService.exe.config file to obtain a verbose logging and today I forced a manual update of the report schedulation at 15:27, after the customer deleted and reuploaded his report. These are the errors I found:

File ASManagedRoot_2021_03_10_00_52_00.log:

2021-03-10 15:27:09.9384|ERROR|16|GetV3ConnectionString - Exception occured while retrieving credentials for data model connection string.System.Exception: No credentials were found for the datasource
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot.PBIRSConnectionDetailsProvider.GetV3ConnectionString(Guid rootActivityId, String userPrincipalName, String engineConnectionString, String[] datasourceIds, String contextualIdentity, Boolean isDirectQueryExecution, PBIDedicatedProviderType& providerType, String& connectionString)

File RSPowerBI_2021_03_10_00_01_06.log:

2021-03-10 15:27:09.9853|ERROR|506|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 67fa4327-869d-4713-b80b-1e7e70aaaddc, Status: Error Failed to refresh the model, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
'.
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Model.SaveChangesImpl(SaveOptions options)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.TOMWrapper.RefreshModel(Database database)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.AsServer.AnalysisServicesServer.RefreshDatabase(String databaseName, IEnumerable`1 dataSources, IEnumerable`1 parameters, String clientSessionId)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.AnalysisServicesDataRefresh.RefreshDatabase(AsDatabaseInfo asDatabaseInfo)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<>c__DisplayClass34_0.<ExecuteActionWithLogging>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<ExecuteFuncWithLogging>d__33`1.MoveNext()
2021-03-10 15:27:09.9853|TRACE|506|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 67fa4327-869d-4713-b80b-1e7e70aaaddc, Status: Finished Refreshing the model.
2021-03-10 15:27:09.9853|ERROR|506|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 67fa4327-869d-4713-b80b-1e7e70aaaddc, Status: Error Failed Data Refresh, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, No credentials were found for the datasource.
The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
'.
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.ExecuteActionWithLogging(Action methodToExecute, String description, String localizedDescription, String messageInFailure, RefreshInfo refreshInfo, DataAccessors dataAccessors, ReportEventType operation, Boolean isDataRetrieval, Boolean showInExecutionLog, Boolean sendToTelemetry)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.AnalysisServicesDataRefresh.RefreshData(RefreshInfo refreshInfo)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<>c__DisplayClass34_0.<ExecuteActionWithLogging>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebHost.EventHandler.DataRefreshScope.<ExecuteFuncWithLogging>d__33`1.MoveNext()
2021-03-10 15:27:09.9853|TRACE|506|Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 67fa4327-869d-4713-b80b-1e7e70aaaddc, Status: Finished Data Refresh.

Customers have noticed that this issue only occurs with PowerBI reports created in a dedicated PBIRS folder; other reports created via Reporting Services (therefore with shared datasources) have regularly working schedules. Security in PBIRS uses normal inheritance from Home. I hope this could help to solve the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.