Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBIRS / SSRS 2017 - EMail subscriptions fail when Subject or Body contain an Umlaut (äöü)

Hi,

i´m moving from SSRS 2008 (Sharepoint integrated mode) to PBIRS. When i create an EMail subscription on a "paginated report" on the new server (PBIRS), everything is successfull as long as the subject or body of the mail does not contain an german "Umlaut" (äöü). As soon as one of them is there, the PBIRS says that the message has been sent successfully but i never receive the message.

Comparing to the old server, i found that the old one prefixes the subject / body with encoding information, something like 

Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Test_Date_Param.rdl_wurde_um_26.?=
=?utf-8?Q?08.2018_11:23:02_ausgef=C3=BChrt?=

The new one / PBIRS doesn`t add this prefix, and i cannot find where to configure, also not when comparing the config files with the old server (web.config, rsreportserver.config etc):

Subject: Der Test Date Param-Bericht wurde zum Zeitpunkt "24.08.2018
10:51:57" ausgefuehrt. (<-- i changed the ü to ue manually here to get through the email 🙂 )

So, how could this be resolved? Can i configure something so that the utf-8 - prefix is there? The behaviour of the PBIRS in this case is really bad luck, cause in german language the default subject of a message CONTAINS an umlaut (ausgeführt / executed in english), so no messages get sent by default 😞

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the subject ist pretty formatted: "Test AÖÄÜ"

The envirorement is a Exchange 2013, PBI RS August, SQL 2017

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just in case anybody experiences the same: We were never able to fugure it out, but simply using another SMTP-Server fixed the issue.

Not a real solution if you do not have another server at hand, though...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm.. strange.

Today I tested it with a german installation and a email subscription with ÄÖÜß signs in the subject line.

It works perfect.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

in the mail you received - is the subject prefixed with encoding information (like displayed in my first post)? What SMTP-server are you using and which version of SQLServer / PBIRS?

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the subject ist pretty formatted: "Test AÖÄÜ"

The envirorement is a Exchange 2013, PBI RS August, SQL 2017

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.