Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AdminDev

PBIRS API call is slow on Server

Scenario:

Browser: IE 11

Query: http://<server>/api/2.0/catalogitems

Number of catalog items is around 200.

When I run this query in browser on my workstation, results come instanteniously.

When I run this query in browser on server, it takes about 5 minutes to receive results.

When the query is exexuted within SSIS C# script task, it also takes about 5 minutes for the query to execute.

PBIRS is installed on the same box with SSIS.

PBIRS version 1.3.6801.38816 (August 2018)

No IIS installed on the server.

Why does this 5 minute delay happen?

How can it be eliminated?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Not sure about a 5 minute delay, but a few things to check:

1. Is the server in a cold state? Sometimes the first call takes time to load everything into memory. 

2. When you view this in the web portal, is does not pull all items at one time, it filters the list to the just that folder/root being viewed. Hence consider if you re rest call shoud have some filter condition. 

3. Do you have large files? Double check the REST api repsonse if that includes the content payloads. The portal pulls only metadata and not the content. 

4. Look at the server log files, that may give you some indication of where time is spent, or if there is a timeout/error of some sort. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.