Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI report server ExecutionLogStorage Report Action

I am working on PowerBI Report Server, and I have access to ExecutionlogStorage and all the ExecutionLog views.
There is a column named ReportAction, which apparantly is used to show the action for each report. How can I know which numbers represent which action? I couldn't find a good documentation on Microsoft (typical 🙄)

I have both PBI reports and SSRS reports on my server.
How can I see which reports (PBI or SSRS) are opened? Who opened them? which reports are opened several times? and so on

@KBO 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

interesting question 🙂

I only use Power BI Report Server - I don't have render "1" in my executionlogstorage.

I think this is SSRS right?

I found out that only some of the types are use in Power BI Report Server and the others are from the SSRS.

So I think in Power BI Report Server I would use "13" for open reports and in SSRS 13 and 1 - but I guess you must test if it is right. So open a report in SSRS and monitor it via the report in my blog post - you add the 1 as well and than you will see what happend. 🙂 I would try it but I havn't installed a classic SSRS and I don't work with paginated reports.

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best,

Kathrin

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

found this article, may be it will help you too: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2722/sql-server-report-server-2008-r2-execution-log-reports/

Best,

Kathrin

KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

what a coincidence that i just wrote a blog post about this yesterday 🙂

http://www.yodabi.com/?p=9746

You can use the Demo Report to monitor your basic actions on the report server. There is also a explanation to the numbers.

Best,

Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KBO, thank you for your reply. 

In your report you assigned ReportAction=13 to "ReportOpen", while in the ExecutionLog3 View definition the ReportAction=13 is "ConceptualSchema" (whatever that means😶). 

This is what Microsoft defines to create the ExecutionLog3 view: 

CASE(ReportAction)
WHEN 1 THEN 'Render'
WHEN 2 THEN 'BookmarkNavigation'
WHEN 3 THEN 'DocumentMapNavigation'
WHEN 4 THEN 'DrillThrough'
WHEN 5 THEN 'FindString'
WHEN 6 THEN 'GetDocumentMap'
WHEN 7 THEN 'Toggle'
WHEN 8 THEN 'Sort'
WHEN 9 THEN 'Execute'
WHEN 10 THEN 'RenderEdit'
WHEN 11 THEN 'ExecuteDataShapeQuery'
WHEN 12 THEN 'RenderMobileReport'
WHEN 13 THEN 'ConceptualSchema'
WHEN 14 THEN 'QueryData'
WHEN 15 THEN 'ASModelStream'
WHEN 16 THEN 'RenderExcelWorkbook'
WHEN 17 THEN 'GetExcelWorkbookInfo'
WHEN 18 THEN 'SaveToCatalog'
WHEN 19 THEN 'DataRefresh'
ELSE 'Unknown'
END AS ItemAction,

Therefore, the following questions raise: 
- What is the difference between Execute and Render? 

- Which of these actions are actually "Open Report" action?

Thanks

what is the diffrence between each of them?

HI @Anonymous ,

yes thats right every time a report will be open the conceptual schema will load so that is the trigger to know when a report were opened. 🙂

Here a nice explanation of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptual_schema 

The conceptual schema is like a map - If you open a report a map of the report will be load and thats why this is the same as open report.

Best,

Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KBO 

Thank you again for the explanation. 

So, so you think we can use 'Render' as a counter to see how many times a report is been opened? 

Because when I use the filter for ReportAction=1 (which is render), it seems that everytime I open a report, this action is added to the execution log. 

I just son't know which one is the most precise, 'ConceptualSchema' or 'Render'?

Hi @Anonymous ,

interesting question 🙂

I only use Power BI Report Server - I don't have render "1" in my executionlogstorage.

I think this is SSRS right?

I found out that only some of the types are use in Power BI Report Server and the others are from the SSRS.

So I think in Power BI Report Server I would use "13" for open reports and in SSRS 13 and 1 - but I guess you must test if it is right. So open a report in SSRS and monitor it via the report in my blog post - you add the 1 as well and than you will see what happend. 🙂 I would try it but I havn't installed a classic SSRS and I don't work with paginated reports.

Best,

Kathrin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors