Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Server May 2020 not refreshing saved reports

Last week I've updated Report server to version May 2020 (15.0.1103.227). I also updated Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - May 2020).

I notices the following issue: When I open the report with Edit in Power Bi Desktop, manually refresh data and change something small in report view, then save on PowerBI Report Server and refresh browser, nothing happens. In column Modified Date I see that the report has been modified, but in the report the data is old, like I never refreshed it.

After I restart the PowerBI Server (Stop then Start) the reports are refreshed.

I looks like there is a problem with the cache or something like that. Is there any new option in Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - May 2020) regarding this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous wrote:

So, the only workaround is to return to Jan 2020 version? 
Is it safety just to install the older version?

So one workaround is open your report in desktop, then go back to the portal and delete the file from there before you save. But that is not great for end users.

Otherwise you either have to wait for a fix or look at going back to Jan 2020. Although Ideally you should restore the ReportServer database from a backup as I'm not sure if the May release made any schema changes or not. 

Realistically my guess is that it could be at least a week or two, maybe longer before an update is published. Even if they have a fix for this today Microsoft will need to do a full test run to make sure that the fix does not break anything else. The last thing they want to do is rush out a fix that breaks something else.

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56
mantaga
Frequent Visitor

The June Hotfix solved the issue, to update existing Power BI Reports.

However we can't update existing Excel files anylonger. Very frustrating.  

Does anybody have an idea?

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Great, latest version on my test enviroment works fine. On production I need some time to check, but I hope that it's solved 🙂

Hi Josef78, I'm assuming this has worked out well for you? Anyone else run into any problems with subscription refreshes since the update? I'm not seeing much other chatter about the problem so I'm going to go ahead with our updates and see how things go. 

Hi @messerjc  sorry for delay (I have another issue with my community account). But yes, finally after this update I there no problem, it work well.

hey, I went ahead with it last Friday. No problems at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bradsy  Thank you for the update. 

We have an end date or a deadline to the adjustment?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here we have the same situation. 

We use Power BI in large scale, and we have many strategic reports and dashboards, that is used daily and after the upgrade to May 2020, the problemas with Cache started. 

Our enviroment is composed by two servers in cluster: 
Firts node is to render the reports and the second node only to schedule and refresh datasets.

I tried to update the last version 15.0.1103.232 released on 6/15/2020 but don't work.
I tested too in a new servers, simulating my prod enviroment and the same problem.

I hope Microsoft help us and relase a new version to fix this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  i had the same issue but after updating to 15.0.1103.232 the issue is gone.  Just to say again: I refresh my reports manuallly, automatic refresh is not working. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Try running a simple 'Refresh All' on your local after any changes are made and just before you republish the Report back to the Report Server. I found that this workaround worked with the issue I was having which looks to be similar to yours, see: Bug: Power BI Report Server - Scheduled Refresh rolling back Report to previous version 

As to why this works, I'm not actually sure - in addition to updating the Reports datasets the 'Refresh All' almost seems to run a build of sorts which prevents the changes to the new version being rolled back to the older vesion after a scheduled refresh is completed, I'm only guessing here though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymousif you mean Refresh All in Query Editor, i have tried but no success.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, try a 'Refresh All' on the Report view.

@Anonymous 'Refresh All' on the Report view does not help for this issue. It is not affecting out of date SSAS cache. 

SSAS cache (on PBIRS instance) is not reloaded (if already loaded in cache) for used PBI report on PBIRS after data are updated in DB (on MSSQL instance), does no matter if data are updated from PBID or Scheduled refresh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@josef78 thanks for confirming issue, this does seem to be a separate issue altogether.

I just thought on the off chance that the workaround solution we found may have applied to your situation, unfortunately it has not.

I've just heard that a hotfix for this issue has been released. I've done some testing in my environment and as far as I can see this issue appears to have been fixed. The new version is 15.0.1103.232 and they've just updated the may 2020 download at https://aka.ms/pbireportserver so if you re-download from there and re-install it should update your server. (you can check which version you are currently running by going to the http://<yourserver>/reportserver endpoint)

Bad news! :(((((

This version (15.0.1103.232) not solving this issue completelly. This version solving refresh cache only in case of manual upload from PBID.

In case of scheduled refresh (in case when data refresh is processed on another server than frontend server in scale-out deployment) is still not solved. After data datarefresh data in SSAS cache are not retried on all servers and using cached out-of-date data.

This issue, after two weeks is still not resolved.

@josef78 wrote:

Bad news! :(((((

This version (15.0.1103.232) not solving this issue completelly. This version solving refresh cache only in case of manual upload from PBID.

In case of scheduled refresh (in case when data refresh is processed on another server than frontend server in scale-out deployment) is still not solved. After data datarefresh data in SSAS cache are not retried on all servers and using cached out-of-date data.

This issue, after two weeks is still not resolved.

@josef78 - can you describe your scenario in more detail - Do you have different servers set as "back-end" vs "front-end"? Can you provide step-by-step details for reproducing this issue? Do you have a support ticket number for this issue?

I tested a number of refresh scenarios and they all worked fine. But this was only on a single server instance, not on scale out configurations

@d_gosbell sorry, previous comment is for you

@josef78 - no worries. I saw your previous reply anyway and I've passed on the repro steps to my contacts at Microsoft. I'm assuming that bradsy will have logged this issue anyway

Yes, we are looking at it. No ETA, as we don't know how to fix yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bradsy   Any news ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.