Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Server May 2020 not refreshing saved reports

Last week I've updated Report server to version May 2020 (15.0.1103.227). I also updated Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - May 2020).

I notices the following issue: When I open the report with Edit in Power Bi Desktop, manually refresh data and change something small in report view, then save on PowerBI Report Server and refresh browser, nothing happens. In column Modified Date I see that the report has been modified, but in the report the data is old, like I never refreshed it.

After I restart the PowerBI Server (Stop then Start) the reports are refreshed.

I looks like there is a problem with the cache or something like that. Is there any new option in Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - May 2020) regarding this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous wrote:

So, the only workaround is to return to Jan 2020 version? 
Is it safety just to install the older version?

So one workaround is open your report in desktop, then go back to the portal and delete the file from there before you save. But that is not great for end users.

Otherwise you either have to wait for a fix or look at going back to Jan 2020. Although Ideally you should restore the ReportServer database from a backup as I'm not sure if the May release made any schema changes or not. 

Realistically my guess is that it could be at least a week or two, maybe longer before an update is published. Even if they have a fix for this today Microsoft will need to do a full test run to make sure that the fix does not break anything else. The last thing they want to do is rush out a fix that breaks something else.

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56

I also noticed that RLS stopped working. Does anyone have a similar problem?

@Strangers wrote:

I also noticed that RLS stopped working. Does anyone have a similar problem?

I just setup a new file with RLS, deployed it and added myself to a role and it worked fine. What specific issue are you seeing?

As with data, this works for newly created reports.
But I added the RLS to the existing report and updated it manually. As well as for the data in the report, there was a certain delay in time (about 1 hour) after which the RLS began to work.

@Strangers wrote:

As with data, this works for newly created reports.
But I added the RLS to the existing report and updated it manually. As well as for the data in the report, there was a certain delay in time (about 1 hour) after which the RLS began to work.

Ah so that's probably related to the data issue. It appears that somehow the server holds on to an old copy of the data model in memory. And the data model contains the role definitions. Things like a scheduled refresh or a restart of the service can force the updated data model. So if you have an hourly scheduled refresh this might explain this, or their could be some other form of timeout which eventually flushes the old version of the data model out of memory.

Hi, a have same problem, data after upload/refresh are not refreshed in AS cache. Only terrible workaround is periodically restart server. This issue is not solved. Only possible is wait for bug fix or update of PBIRS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, scheduled refresh is not working, I will make a new post for this issue.

The workaround is ok, hope there will be new version soon. Restarting server is also a good option, for the moment this is the chosen method - update manually all reports, then restart the server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So one workaround is open your report in desktop, then go back to the portal and delete the file from there before you save. But that is not great for end users.

Otherwise you either have to wait for a fix or look at going back to Jan 2020. Although Ideally you should restore the ReportServer database from a backup as I'm not sure if the May release made any schema changes or not. 

Realistically my guess is that it could be at least a week or two, maybe longer before an update is published. Even if they have a fix for this today Microsoft will need to do a full test run to make sure that the fix does not break anything else. The last thing they want to do is rush out a fix that breaks something else.

hey @d_gosbell 

Have you heard from your contacts? I'm not confident in upgrading the server with a version that doesn't work as it should. 

@mpsrshl - no, I have not heard anything yet. I'm expecting that it could take a few weeks and I'm not upgrading until I know this is fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have already upgraded, is it possible to downgrade to previous version?

yup, they have taken almost a month in releasing hotfixes and they are very poorly communicated too. Good luck to all of us this time haha 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have the issue, reports are not refreshing after uploading to PowerBI Report Server. In Modified column I can see that the version is new, but the data in the report is old. Sometimes it works fine, but most of the time the reports are not refreshing. 

Strangers
Frequent Visitor

I have the same situation. Even, If you select "Edit in Power BI Desktop" you can see refreshed data. But on the Report Server old version report is displayed

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is exactly what i meant.
I really hope someone to provide explanation and solution for this problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.