Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Report Server cannot hold more than one set of credentials

Hello,

I'm having an issue with PBI reports deployed to PBI Report Server. My report has an Oracle data source using Basic Authentication and an Excel file saved on a network server using an AD service account we created specifically for this reason. We are running the October release of PBI RS (Version 14.0.600.434)

My issue is when I enter the credentials (Username & Password) for both data sources it is overwriting both passwords with the latest password entered for either datasource. 

If I update the Oracle credentials and the AD credentials they both work when I use the "Test Connection" button. However, when I hit "Save" and go back and "Test Connection" I find that the AD credentials no longer work.

If I then go back and update the AD credentials and hit "Save", then go back and test both connections then I find that the Oracle credentials no longer work. 

I can go back and forth like this updating either one data source or both but it seems like RS is storing only one password and applying it to both datasources.

Is this a known bug or is there a PBIRS configuration setting that we have wrong?

My only presumed work around is to make the passwords for all data sources in the report the same but that does not seem like a good and secure solutions.

Any help appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Maaike_V
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the same issue / problem.

Have you found a solution or workaround?

Thnx,

Maaike

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

it was a while ago but in the end I think we just made the credentiuals to the two data sources the same so we could use just one set of credentials. Not ideal, but it worked.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

As you mentioned, PBI Report Server only allows us to enter one credential/password. It looks like a by design setting.

Hi @riccardomuti@mgmeyer do you have any comment on this topic? Is this by design? Is there any workaround to support multiple crendetials for a dataset containing different data sources?

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-yulgu-msft,

that seems kind of strange. Why would there be the option to enter different credentials for each data source if it was not meant to be done that way? Does that mean that I have to have the same password for my database account as for my AD account? That doesn't seem very secure.

If you or the others could confirm that and offer any workarounds please. I'd also suggest that this should be functionality if it is not currently.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.