Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pbx
Helper V
Helper V

PBI RS May 2021

This is in anticipation of May 2021 release of PBI Report Server and every bug that will come with that. But to begin with is there a release date?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So historically I don't believe we've ever had a specific date announced in advance. But based on the past few years,  the new releases will typically drop in the last week of the month. So my usual advice to people it to plan to do testing on the new release at the start of the following month. 

If we go by past few years experience, we should expect a bug ridden release again this time.... perhaps this is a way for MS to push people to the cloud... but not really a smart way...

The change log is out, no sign of the actual download yet.

Change log for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Wondering what does this mean for the old reports already deployed:

• "Models with enhanced metadata" is now the only option for modeling in Power BI Desktop for RS.

@d_gosbell is correct that existing reports will continue to work on the server. However, new reports, and reports edited with May Power BI Desktop for RS will be upgraded to use the new metadata format.

Oh and the update is out now. 

@pbx wrote:

Wondering what does this mean for the old reports already deployed:

• "Models with enhanced metadata" is now the only option for modeling in Power BI Desktop for RS.

They should be fine, the engine has been running models with both the old and new metadata side by side for multiple releases now. This just means that going forward Desktop for RS will only author using the new format. I think this is a good thing as it potentially opens up the way to enable External tools in the RS version of Desktop. (but I'm an author of an external tool so I could be a little biased 🙂  )

The side by side has been a disaster from performance perspective...

Solved: Re: PBIRS January 2021 Issues - Microsoft Power BI Community

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.