Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI RS Licensing already owning SQL SE+SA

Hi,

I am getting confused...

I've spoken to Inisght (license partner from MS) on the topic of PBI RS included in the SQL Server Enterprise edt. + SA.

We have 6 SQL Server Enterprise Edt. + SA licenses already, but apparantly they are all already being used.

Does this mean I have to purchase an additional license? I would expect it to be part of the license, and thus already available for us because we already have 6.

Can anybody help on the matter?

Thanks, Bram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

Does this mean I have to purchase an additional license? I would expect it to be part of the license, and thus already available for us because we already have 6.

It depends what you mean by "we already have 6" - typically SQL is licensed to a certain number of cores. So if you have 6 cores of SQL SE and you are running on a 6 core VM then your license partner is correct in that they are already being used. 

If you wanted to install PBIRS on a separate VM (which is the recommended approach) then you would need additional licenses for the cores on this other VM.

Technically if you installed PBIRS on your existing SQL VM you would not need to pay for any additional licenses, but running 2 big applications like PBIRS and the SQL DB engine on the one VM can lead to performance issues and I would not recommend this for a production environment

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends what you mean by "we already have 6" - typically SQL is licensed to a certain number of cores. So if you have 6 cores of SQL SE and you are running on a 6 core VM then your license partner is correct in that they are already being used. 

If you wanted to install PBIRS on a separate VM (which is the recommended approach) then you would need additional licenses for the cores on this other VM.

Technically if you installed PBIRS on your existing SQL VM you would not need to pay for any additional licenses, but running 2 big applications like PBIRS and the SQL DB engine on the one VM can lead to performance issues and I would not recommend this for a production environment

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.