Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Efy
Regular Visitor

PBI RS Direct Query to SQL server with sql credetials

Hi,

I have installed PBI RS (October 2017) on a machine with MSSQL 2016 for RS database.

I am developing a report with PBI desktop for RS  (October 2017) with Direct query mode, the direct query is against a SQL database in our premise network, connecting with SQL credentials (SQL user).

The report is working fine on PBI Desktop of the developer.

Although we are not able to save to the RS service, we were able to upload the report to the RS portal from the developer's machine (thru the webpage).

The Power BI service is configured to run with my 'superuser' credentials, and I am able to see the report thru the link to the RS portal, but no one else is able to see it thru on the browser, the error message claims that there is a problem with the connection string to SSAS (my data source is to SQL Server).

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Efy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Efy
Regular Visitor

I have changed the service account to work with NetworkServices, did not help.

I saw that I configured in the past Execution Account to my user, I changed it back to the default (unchecked "Specify an execution account") and it works now.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Efy
Regular Visitor

I have changed the service account to work with NetworkServices, did not help.

I saw that I configured in the past Execution Account to my user, I changed it back to the default (unchecked "Specify an execution account") and it works now.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Efy sorry for bothering you back to this.

I am in trouble with the same thing you were, but I have never checked the "Specify an execution account" option. I uploaded on RS a report I created with my PBI Desktop using data with Direct Query mode from a SQL Server database, I am able to see it with administrator account but not with any other account.

I don't know why.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Nick

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Efy,

Did you grant proper permission to other users to enable them to access Web Portal and Reports?

Setting System-Level Permissions

Setting Item-Level Permissions

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

I should of mention that I gave those permissions, I gave one user high permissions and assigned to him all available roles, no success 😞

Please help.

Thanks,

Efy

Efy
Regular Visitor

Hi,

For some reason only the user that we used as the "service account" to the PoweBI service is able to view reports, all the others get the error "can't connect to the analyses service, please check the connection string".

What is it means?

Thanks,

Efy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.