Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ShalinKapadia
Regular Visitor

PBI OnPrem Server Not Rendering PBI Report

Hi All,

I am facing an issue and hoping you would be able to help me with it.

We recently upgraded to the October 31, 2017 release of Power BI Report Server. That upgrade was on top of the June 2017 version of the server.

We also installed the October 31, 2017 version of PBI Desktop and upgraded one of the PBI reports that was initially created using an older version of PBI Desktop.

This report, after published to the PBI Server, doesn't render when we try accessing it from the server. The log files have the below error -

2017-11-15 17:42:02.3848|ERROR|249|GetPbixReportMetadataAsync RSPortal returned error code Forbidden for catalogItem c34d0b63-8a48-41ae-9752-69e37f03d48f. Check Portal logs.| RequestID = 93f4c176-c454-c732-c706-d83f52a7c9ba ClientSessionID = 1cfaf8a2-527b-f040-b50a-2a2ba9d70732

We tried with a Live Connection to an Oracle database, a data-import version and also a report without any connections but just text component on it - none of these reports rendered on the server - get the same error in all the cases.

Any inputs from the community here would be appreciated!

Looking forward to some helpful comments; Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

Solution was found by modifying a registry key according to the following website explanation:

https://jasonjonesdata.blogspot.com/2019/07/power-bi-report-server-error-has.html

Regards,
BenT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
I'm having the same trouble on my server, and ReportServerUrl is set properly.
We can open a report when connected directly on the server on which Power BI Report Server is installed.
But, blank page is displayed after "Loading data" wheel when we try to open a report from another server belonging to the same sub-network.
Error message : error 403 forbidden (GetPbixReportMetadataAsync RSPortal returned error code Forbidden for catalogItem)

Version of Power BI RS installed (if it can help) : Mai 2020

Thanks in avance for your support,
Regards,

BenT

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ShalinKapadia,

It seems that all reports deployed to the Power BI report server October version don't work, right? 

Please click "..." on top right corner of the report, click Manage-> Properties-> Edit in Power BI desktop, check if the report can display fine in desktop. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Thanks for your response!

I tried your suggestion and even if I have Power BI Desktop October 2017 version installed on my machine, I got a pop-up saying "Syntax: PBIDesktop.exe [filename.pbix]" and nothing happened after that i.e. PBI Desktop didn't open.

I have attached the pop-up for your reference -

PBI Pop-up.PNG

Thanks again!

Shalin

Some more information on this issue:

• Accessing the Power BI Report on the server using the server's hostname in the URL (e.g. http://hostname/reports/...) doesn't render the report
  • Remote connecting to the server VM and then opening the same PBI report using the localhost in the URL (http://localhost/reports/...) works fine i.e. the PBI report renders then

We have checked the firewall settings - that is not causing the problem. We are able to access the SSRS reports published to the same PBI Report Server without any issues using the hostname URL.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Shalin

Did you manage to resolve this issue?  We are getting the same issue on a scale-out install.  After a restart, the reports work fine for about 10 minutes, then we just get a blank screen under the tool bars.

The only error is in the RSPowerBI Log file with:

GetPbixReportMetadataAsync RSPortal returned error code Forbidden for catalogItem

I had the same problem.  Setting the ReportServerUrl element in the config file as described on the following page then restarting the windows service solved the problem.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/PBI-OnPrem-Server-Not-Rendering-PBI-Report/td-p/30404...

This step really needs documenting officially.  Without it the On-Prem Server basically isn't usable in scale-out confirguation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.