Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bobjSrikanth
Frequent Visitor

PB implementation with SQL serer standard edition

Hi There,

Power BI implementation can work with SQL server standard edition? If yes what is the different from 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@bobjSrikanth wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I was asking about the PBI RS.

If we choose SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance, do we need to go for Premium/Pro Licence or does it included in SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance?

So if you license PBIRS through SQL Server Enterprise Edition with SA you do not need to purchase any Premium capacity. But any authors that want to publish pbix reports to PBIRS will require a Power BI Desktop Pro license (but users that just want to view reports do not require any other license). 

View solution in original post

Hi, @bobjSrikanth 

The error message prompts you that there is insufficient memory, so your data should be quite large.

Do you try to use DQ mode or import less data, or you can filter data in pq first to avoid excess data imported to report?

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
bobjSrikanth
Frequent Visitor

Thanks a lot for your support.

I am trying to refresh a report(import SQL server DB) in PBI desktop tool for RS, the report is running and running and never executed and thrown an error. as shown in the image.

we have 8GB RAM and 1TD HDD.

Thank you in advance

bobjSrikanth_0-1638722726256.png

Hi, @bobjSrikanth 

The error message prompts you that there is insufficient memory, so your data should be quite large.

Do you try to use DQ mode or import less data, or you can filter data in pq first to avoid excess data imported to report?

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Note that this may not just be an issue with the raw data size. You should be able to load hundreds of millions of rows into Power BI Desktop before you come close to data volume issues. This could also be caused by issues in one or more of your queries that are blocking query folding and causing Power BI to try and load the entire dataset into memory prior to compression. By default Power BI normally compresses data in 1 million row segments and writes those out progressively.

bobjSrikanth
Frequent Visitor

If we choose SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance, do we need to go for Premium/Pro Licence or does it included in SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance?

Thank you in advance.

@bobjSrikanth wrote:

So if you license PBIRS through SQL Server Enterprise Edition with SA you do not need to purchase any Premium capacity. But any authors that want to publish pbix reports to PBIRS will require a Power BI Desktop Pro license (but users that just want to view reports do not require any other license). 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

From a functionality perspective there is nothing in Power BI that requires the enterprise edition. Everything should work fine with the Standard Edition.

If you are talking about Power BI Report Server specifically then it depends on how you want to license it. see here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/get-started#licensing-power-bi-report-server for the 2 different ways of acquiring a license for Power BI Report Server

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.