Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ASHOKKPIN
Resolver I
Resolver I

Oracle COnnection error in PBIRS

Oracle Client - 64  Bit is installed on PBIRS. Able to run SQLPLUS from command line and tnsping also works. However creating a data connection fails with the error

GUI Error

The report server couldn't connect to the data source using the information you entered. Make sure you've entered the connection string and any credentials correctly.

Hide error details 

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Stack Trace from the log :

processing!ReportServer_0-4!cf30!10/09/2017-10:37:17:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: Cannot create a connection to data source ''. ---> Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client.OracleException: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified ---> OracleInternal.Network.NetworkException: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
at OracleInternal.Network.AddressResolution..ctor(String TNSAlias, String instanceName)
at OracleInternal.Network.OracleCommunication.DoConnect(String tnsDescriptor)
at OracleInternal.ServiceObjects.OracleConnectionImpl.Connect(ConnectionString cs, Boolean bOpenEndUserSession, String instanceName)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at OracleInternal.ConnectionPool.PoolManager`3.Get(ConnectionString csWithDiffOrNewPwd, Boolean bGetForApp, String affinityInstanceName, Boolean bForceMatch)
at OracleInternal.ConnectionPool.OraclePoolManager.Get(ConnectionString csWithNewPassword, Boolean bGetForApp, String affinityInstanceName, Boolean bForceMatch)
at OracleInternal.ConnectionPool.OracleConnectionDispenser`3.Get(ConnectionString cs, PM conPM, ConnectionString pmCS, SecureString securedPassword, SecureString securedProxyPassword)
at Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client.OracleConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.DataExtensionConnectionBase.<>c__DisplayClass5.<OpenConnection>b__4()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---;

4 REPLIES 4
kskarthick
Advocate I
Advocate I

It's Solved same Issue for me.

This issue we can't fix in Power BI Server, we need to fix this in Power BI Desktop itself, because we can't change the datasource in Power BI server once we published from Power BI Desktop, in power bi server only user name and password we can give  and datasorce connection string we can't change in it.

So while creating your Power BI report in Power BI desktop, kindly provide your connection sting like this  "HOST: PORT/SERVICE_NAME"(Don't give any space) instead of your oracle TNS Service Name.

It's Worked for me, i think so it will be helpfull for you guys also.

Hi,

I have used the connection string as HOST: PORT/SERVICE_NAME; but i am still getting TNS error. Can someone please help @kskarthick 

kskarthick
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dear All,

Same issue i got, anyone got solution kindly let me know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.