Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

erezb
Frequent Visitor

On premise reporting services 2016

Hello

I hope this is the correct forum for my question.

I have developed something on power bi desktop.

I want to deploy it to reporting services 2016 . I'm not quiet familiar with the diffrences bewteen 2016 and 2017 on this issue if there are any.

Is power bi supported in both servers ? What does the 2016 need in order to support power bi project deployment?

I know there is a "special" desktop version to support exporting power-bi porojects to reporting services but I don't quiet see the all picture.

Can someone give me a brief explanation on this issue.?

At my work there is reporting services(2016) but power bi is new here.

Thanks in advance

Erez

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, Power BI Report Server is a product on its own and does not need any SSRS as prerequisite.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pbx
Helper V
Helper V

To use Power BI on premises, you need to use two things:

1. Power BI Report Server (that includes the tranditional paginated and Mobile Reports that ships with SSRS as well).  You can download it from here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/report-server/
  2. You also need Power BI Desktop optmized for Report Server, also available from the link above (See advanced download options).

If your work is using SSRS in native mode, you should be able to migrate to PBI Report Server without technical problems and also take advantage of Power BI type visualizations. Of course you just need to make sure you have the proper licenses.

erezb
Frequent Visitor

Thanks pbx.

I just want to clarify something . If I understand correct "Power BI Report Server " should be installed on reporting services ??

If yes does it have to be 2017 or 2016 satisfy  ?

Thanks

Erez

No, Power BI Report Server is a product on its own and does not need any SSRS as prerequisite.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.