Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

henrik_nordling
Frequent Visitor

On-prem data GW keeps creating junk files on C-drive

After installing a new PBI On-prem data GW 14.16.6549.2 junk files and folder a created on the C-drive

Example of folders names:

+360YjLX+XPUzmDSeJ+tr8t3XOXDiJvuh0OYpY69Bw=

+LdWMP+iqbr+5doyd1DZiiFYd1OknhyH6F1m4YyHoo=

+LtLM+aswqVWoa85K8onvUPgm78aexj4gx9VzlwGCM=

and so on.

About 10-20 new folders are created every day, and I really have to concentrate when cleaning them out so that the windows folder among others do not get removed!

Within the folders, I find the exact same structure:

Index - empty folder

Temp - empty folder

Cache.Key - file

I have two other gateway installations NOT doing this, and I cant find anything in the logs explaining why those folders are created. I know it is the GW creating them because file owner is local account "PBIEgwService".

Fist step would of course be to reinstall the gw but it runs a bounch data sources in a global company  with a number of credentials, so the task of re-installing is quite excensive. And so I dont really like to do it if unnessesary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have also installed version 14.16.6614.5 and junk folders are no longer being created. The issue has been fixed in this version.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
MarcinBajda
Frequent Visitor

I have found in Windows log Error Events appeared at the same time that the folders ware created:

A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 48. The Windows SChannel error state is 552.

Next after this:
The certificate received from the remote server was issued by an untrusted certificate authority. Because of this, none of the data contained in the certificate can be validated. The SSL connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.

There is a lot of errors like that in System Log and not all of them correspond to created folders but MAYBE it is connected with SSL/TLS topic?

My event log looks the same. A bunch of Event ID

36888: "A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 48. The Windows SChannel error state is 552."

36882: "The certificate received from the remote server was issued by an untrusted certificate authority. Because of this, none of the data contained in the certificate can be validated. The SSL connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate."Schannel.png

MarcinBajda, I have a lot of Schannel, event id 36882 messages on the server too.

I totally agree, it could be related to the problem... not really sure how to fix that though. I have sent the info to a collegue that has more knowledget about the certs.

Thanks for confirmation 😉

I hope someone from Microsoft (especially "Gateway Team") would get intrested in the topic...

I think that better place for the topic is:
Integrations with Files and Services

Do you have a post there @MarcinBajda? If so, we can help to create some activity around the topic...

No, normally it is not a good idea to duplicate conversations.
Maybe Admin/Moderator can move this topic...?

It would be nice to have some sort of life sign from a admin/moderator to know they are working on the problem!

No sign of of life from any one on the MS-team... time for a bump is think.

MarcinBajda
Frequent Visitor

I have faced the same problem.

On both servers where I have Gateways installed.
The same version as Yours (last one I thing).

Creating the gateway from scratch does not helped.

Changing service account to AD account either.

It looks very bad, IT departmet was warried that we have ransomware... 😞

I think that maybe post should be in "Service" part of forum not here...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@henrik_nordling@karlstrom Would you please share the path of these "junk" folders? I didn't find them in this path C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway. Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft The folders are located at the root of C:-drive. Here's a pitcure from the server.Power BI folders.png

karlstrom
Regular Visitor

I'm experiencing the exact same problem, this started 20/12 for me. I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2 and Gateway version 14.16.6524.1

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.