Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Abdelmajid
Helper I
Helper I

On Prem Cluster Power BI Report Server upgrade

Hello,

Upgrade from March-2018 to May-2021

We did successfully uprade our single noded lower PBIRS environmnet following up the steps here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/upgrade

We have to upgrade our QA and Prod next, they both have two nodes each. for a cluster do we still follow the smae steps please?

Upgrade node one and them move to node two and then stop/start services for both nodes after done?

Apprecaite any help, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Abdelmajid 

Yes, It needs. Upgrade from March-2018 to May-2021 like you. Backup is very important to prevent problems.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Abdelmajid 

I don't quite understand what the node you are talking about is. For powerbi report server installed on different machines, upgrade should go through these steps.

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Thanks for the reply. I mean that Power BI report server is installed on two different machines. Both of the machines make up the Prod environment. 

Just wanted to confirm if the same steps have to be followed whether we have Poer BI report server installed on one or multiple machines. 

Hello @Abdelmajid 

Yes, It needs. Upgrade from March-2018 to May-2021 like you. Backup is very important to prevent problems.

Best Regards,

Hello @v-janeyg-msft ,

One more question please, do I need to run the upgrade software only from one machine and that should upgrade the whole environmnet. Or I need to run on every machine. Thank you! 

If you are running PBI RS on multiple machines (scale-out deployment), you must run upgrade process on every machine where is PBIRS installed.

I'm not sure about recommended order (I think it's not documented), but my practise is upgrade only one server alone in to last step (without restart), and after parallely upgrade all others servers. As last step is restart all servers.

Hi,  @Abdelmajid 

The same report server should not run on multiple machines at the same time, It depends on what you need. But it is recommended to unify the versions of rs desktop and rs to prevent problems. You can only do one backup.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.