Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nlarge

October 2017 bug: "Something Went Wrong" assigning shared dataset to report

Hi.

This issue did not exist prior to upgrading to the October 2017 update.

After deploying a report and associated dataset I am unable to assign the shared dataset to the report.

Environment:

Visual Studio 2015 Shell V 14.0.25420.01 Update 3

SQL Server 2016 w/ Power BI Report Server v1.1.6514.9163 (October 2017)

Steps to reproduce (overview):

* In visual Studio, create a SSRS 2016 shared dataset and associated data source.

* Create a report which uses that shared dataset and test it in Visual Studio.

* navigate to the SQL/PowerBI report manager.

* Navigate to the Datasets folder and "Manage" the dataset for your report, ensuring that it connects to the datasource you are using.  Save the change

* Navigate to the folder where your report is and assign it the intended datasource.

* Attempt to assign the report to the shared dataset,  Click Save.  A message will appear telling you that "Something went wrong".  This is (negative and unexpected) behavior that changed from the June release to the october release of Power BI.

I hope that I have outlined the steps to reproduce enough for viewers to understand the issue,

Please post to this thread if you know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nlarge,

Our Product Team confirmed that this is a Regression in Power BI Report Server and requires a Hotfix. We have already filed a Hotfix request and we expect this to be included in the next Power BI Report Server Release.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

When is the next release due? We really can't deliver before it. Or any work-aronds for the problem?

Has the fix been deployed?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nlarge,

I have reported this issue internally before: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/PowerBI-Report-Server-Wont-Assign-Dataset/idi-p/305921

I will post here once I get any update about this issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.