Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shri
Frequent Visitor

OR condition between multivalue parameters

I am replicating   a power bi report on paginated Report Builder that has multiple slicers (or parameters), namely Sales Region, SalesType, State, Model_Name, Serial_Number, etc. When we run the report values to the parameters needs to be passed to view the report. For better understanding , it is like

[Sales Region] AND [SR_Type] AND [State] AND [Model_Name] AND [Serial_Number]

Whereas the requirement is that the end user should be able to pass value of ANY of the parameters (not all ) to be able to view the report. So, the requirement is like

[Sales Region] OR [SR_Type] OR [State] OR [Model_Name] OR [Serial_Number]

In SSRS, the same can be done by writing a simple SQL query like:-

Select [Sales Region], [SR_Type], [State], [Model_Name], [Serial_Number]

From <table>

Where [Sales Region] In @pSalesRegion OR   [SR_Type] In @pSRType OR [Model_Name] In @pModelName

Here the @pSalesRegion, @pSRType And  @pModelName represent the multiple value parameters.

What is the DAX equivalent of the Sql Query shown above? How can I achieve OR condition between various multivalue parameters? Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
saglamtimur
Resolver II
Resolver II

Using OR operator is trick in Report Builder. I have recorded as short video showing how to achieve this.

Video link

Actually, trick part is modifying DAX query and use parameter properly in this query. For your reference here is the query, and let me explain how does Report Builder/PowerBI RS handles parameters with OR.

CALCULATE (
    [measure],
    UNION (
        CROSSJOIN ( VALUES ( T1[Column1] ), ALL ( T2[Column2] ) ),
        CROSSJOIN ( ALL ( T1[Column1] ), VALUES ( T2[Column2] ) )
    )
)

This is how to implement multi-column filter. There are other methods, but this one is suitable for injecting parameters (For other techniques please refer to this excellent article. We are using #1). 

Power BI Report Builder Query Editor generates this query (for sure its "AND")

EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
RSCustomDaxFilter(@DimProductColor,EqualToCondition,[DimProduct].[Color],String), 
RSCustomDaxFilter(@DimProductSize,EqualToCondition,[DimProduct].[Size],String), 
"TotalSalesAmount", [TotalSalesAmount])

Then, when executing, engine re-writes it and uses selected parameters and injects them as "FILTER" (still uses AND)

EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
FILTER (
        VALUES ( 'DimProduct'[Color] ),
        ( 'DimProduct'[Color] = "Black" )
            || ( 'DimProduct'[Color] = "Blue" )
            || ( 'DimProduct'[Color] = "Grey" )
    ) ,
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( 'DimProduct'[Size] ),
        ( 'DimProduct'[Size] = "L" )
            || ( 'DimProduct'[Size] = "M" )
            || ( 'DimProduct'[Size] = "S" )
            || ( 'DimProduct'[Size] = "XL" )
    ),
"TotalSalesAmount", [TotalSalesAmount])

So every RSCustomDaxFilter function is translated to corresponding "FILTER". If we change our query to apply this method (to use  OR), we get the result we want. Finally here is the query which is modified in the Power BI Report Builder Query Editor.

EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(UNION (
            CROSSJOIN (
                RSCustomDaxFilter(@DimProductColor,EqualToCondition,[DimProduct].[Color],String),
                ALL ( 'DimProduct'[Size] )
            ),
            CROSSJOIN (
                ALL ( 'DimProduct'[Color] ),
                RSCustomDaxFilter(@DimProductSize,EqualToCondition,[DimProduct].[Size],String)
            )
        ), "TotalSalesAmount", [TotalSalesAmount])

Hope it helps.

If my post solved your problem, mark my post as a solution to help others to quickly find it and also please give it a 👍

Hi,

I found your solution to be useful, but I am not clear how I can modify it to suit my requirement. My current report builder query is as below:

EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('DataforPL'[CNTR], 'DataforPL'[CNTR_DT], 'DataforPL'[SUPP_LD_NO], RSCustomDaxFilter(@DataforPLCNTR,EqualToCondition,[DataforPL].[CNTR],String), RSCustomDaxFilter(@DataforPLCNTRDT,EqualToCondition,[DataforPL].[CNTR_DT],DateTime), RSCustomDaxFilter(@DataforPLSUPPLDNO,EqualToCondition,[DataforPL].[SUPP_LD_NO],String))

I have 3 parameters in above query above. I need to modify it such either I enter a combination of [CNTR] & [CNTR_DT] or enter just enter [SUPP_LD_NO] as the parameter, leaving other two fields blank.

Hope I was clear with my requirement. Thanks to assist.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Hi Murali,

Try like below. You may need to handle "ALL" (blank) is no value is passed. 

SUMMARIZECOLUMNS (
        'Data'[CNTR], 'Data'[CNTR_DT], 'Data'[SUPP_LD_NO],
FILTER (
Data,
(FORMAT ( Data[CNTR_DT], "YYYY-MM-DD" )
<= FORMAT ("2020-01-01", "YYYY-MM-DD" )
|| (PATHCONTAINS ( "A", DATA[CNTR] )))
|| PATHCONTAINS ("1ABC", DATA[SUPP_LD_NO])
))

Thanks
Hari

Thank you @Hariharan_R !

If my answer helps you, Mark my post as a solution!!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Shri , a filter like this

filter(all(Table),
Table[Sales Region] in values(Table[Sales Region]) || Table[SR_Type] in values(Table[SR_Type])
|| Table[State] in values(Table[State) || Table[Model_Name] in values(Table[Model_Name])
|| Table[Serial_Number] in values(Table[Serial_Number]))

But better have slicer from disconnected table to avoid all

KBO
MVP

Hi @Shri ,

you can use the filters in the filter pane in Power BI Desktop. Or is this too easy ...

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/power-bi/consumer/end-user-report-filter

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors