Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Number formatting showing up differently for different users

We've published a report on Report Server. THe report connects to a SSAS data model.  A couple of users have reported that they are seeing the numbers formated differently from what I see it as.

I see it as $4,877,089 whereas the other users are seeing it as $48,77,089. These others are in India and I am in the US so I'm guessing it's something to do regional settings. 

How can it be changed at a report level so users are seeing it exactly the way it has been designed? In general, we want everyone to see the numbers as $4,877,089.

7 REPLIES 7
Ntn2018
Frequent Visitor

One way is to create an aggregated measure that cast the number into string in the way you prefer. 

@Ntn2018wrote:

One way is to create an aggregated measure that cast the number into string in the way you prefer. 

Is there a user level setting that the user can change to make it show a certan way? Don't think I want to go with the above solution.  

Issue appears to be in Internet Explorer and Edge and not in Chrome or Firefox. That too only some users have issue in IE/Edge, not all. 

I myself have the issue in IE/Edge but not in Chrome. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if this will work, but we use Tabular data sources and we force many of our measures to a specific format using the Custom format setting and then a FormatString. This seems to be unaffected by locale settings on user machines.

I suspect the issue is probably due to an interaction with the users locale and the server locale of the PBI-SSRS Server.

I haven't seen anywhere in PBI-Desktop that you can set the locale of the PBIX/Page/Measure like you can in SSRS reports

@Anonymouswrote:

I'm not sure if this will work, but we use Tabular data sources and we force many of our measures to a specific format using the Custom format setting and then a FormatString. This seems to be unaffected by locale settings on user machines.

I suspect the issue is probably due to an interaction with the users locale and the server locale of the PBI-SSRS Server.

I haven't seen anywhere in PBI-Desktop that you can set the locale of the PBIX/Page/Measure like you can in SSRS reports

I tried the custom format with format string option but that didn't help either. In IE it still shows $1,12,123 while in chrome it's $112,123. 

I used $#,###,##0;($#,###,##0) in the format string. 

@Anonymouswrote:

I guess that's ok as a worst case workaround but still not clear on why the same report on the same machine would show numbers one way in IE and another way in Chrome. 

On my machine, all language settings are set to English United States and yet chrome shows numbers as $4,877,089 whereas in IE it shows as $48,77,089. Server on which PBIRS is setup also has English United States. Is there anything else I could check?

Yes, I agree.Is the same thing I wrote above

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.