Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not Upload more than 2GB data to Power BI on premise Report server

Hi,
I am confused in one thing and want's to know from anyone to clear my doubt.if we have a power bi desktop pro license and 
we upload  power bi desktop report  to power bi on premise Report server i will be succesfully uploaded to report server.But if you upload the power bi desktop file with more than 2 gb of data to power bi on premise Report server it gives error of data limit exceed.
In this case what we will do?
Purhase power bi premium per user for power bi desktop? if it is so then what about power bi on premise Report server should we also need to upgrade it's license? or only for power bi desktop.

Please advise on that 

Please also confirm me the difference between power bi desktop license or power bi on premise report server licensing both are same or different.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This is not a licensing limitation, you cannot alter this limit by changing your license. Report Server stores the report content in a backend SQL Server database and 2Gb is the max size imposed by that. The only way to host larger models on-prem is to use a SSAS tabular instance which means you would have to change from building your data model in Power BI Desktop to using Visual Studio. On the plus side you can then have many reports pointing at this one data model.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thansk alot @d_gosbell  for guidance 😊

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This is not a licensing limitation, you cannot alter this limit by changing your license. Report Server stores the report content in a backend SQL Server database and 2Gb is the max size imposed by that. The only way to host larger models on-prem is to use a SSAS tabular instance which means you would have to change from building your data model in Power BI Desktop to using Visual Studio. On the plus side you can then have many reports pointing at this one data model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.