Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

No data sources for Scheduled Refresh with Azure DevOps connector

I'm trying to set up a scheduled refresh on my report.  When I go to Manage > Scheduled Refresh, the Data sources tab is disabled, and the Scheduled refresh tab says "Scheduled Data Refresh is not available for reports. The report does not have any external data connections defined or is using an unsupported data source. Learn more".

Unlike this question, I'm not using a REST API. I'm using the built-in "Azure DevOps (Beta)" data source. Our DevOps instance is in the cloud, and our Power BI instance is on-prem. Our Power BI server version is May 2019, and my Desktop version is January 2019. I'm authenticating using a Personal Access Token (PAT).

There are only three queries in the report: two that use Analytics views, and one that is a dynamic ListGenerator without any sources.

I can refresh the report locally.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

I managed to get my report to schedule refresh by moving it from the on-prem server to the Power BI cloud. Either there is something wrong with our on-prem server, or the DevOps connection is supported in later versions, but it's working for me now.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

I managed to get my report to schedule refresh by moving it from the on-prem server to the Power BI cloud. Either there is something wrong with our on-prem server, or the DevOps connection is supported in later versions, but it's working for me now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ross,

Were you able to add additional data sources to the report you have? I'm getting an error that I can't have other data sources in the same report where I'm connecting to a live dataset in the Power BI service.

Thanks,

Jenny

mhotek1

It's not possible.  Your only method is manual refreshes for anything coming out of Azure DevOps.

Thanks, @mhotek1. It doesn't seem to be limited to Azure DevOps though. I have other reports that use web APIs to import data from different sources, and I can't get them to automatically refresh either.

Neither can we.  We have Azure DevOps mixed with SQL Server data, which forces us to use Import instead of Direct Query.  The SQL Server data will refresh, the Azure DevOps data will not.  We can't schedule a refresh, we can't even manually refresh it on the server.  Our "refresh" is done by someone logging in every morning, downloading to PowerBI Desktop, hitting refresh, and then publishing it back to the server.

We have to do this with Azure DevOps and any other web APIs.  The only thing the PowerBI Report Server seems capable of refreshing either manually via the Refresh button on the report or scheduled is when its a SQL Server database.  No other data sources we are using will refresh except within PowerBI Desktop.

Ditto! I have a similar setup. I am not able to update my DevOps data via my onprem PowerBi Server. 

RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

Bump

Anyone?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.