Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

New item role does not appear in report server portal

Hello - I have installed Power BI Report Server May 2020.  Using SSMS I connected to the report services and created a test role. 
From within the portal, when I manage a report or folder under security, the new role does not appear in the list. 
I am a system administrator and I have re-started the Power BI Windows sevice on the server.  Thoughts? 

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous ,

yes and that is the thing ;).

You think there is nothing but If you have installed the Report Server (see under Windows if you can find the configuration manager) on B than install SSMS on this machine and try to reach the reporting service - you will see this will work. 😉 

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous , the Report Server is a tricky little thing ;).

Best 

Kathrin 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

sometimes it can help if you start the service (Power BI Configuration Manager) new 🙂 that was in may case the solution. But regulary as @d_gosbell  is should be appear without doing anything.

Best,

Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Kathrin,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I did try stopping and starting the Power BI service from within Configuration Manager but no change.  The new roles are still not visible.  

Jeff

Hi @Anonymous ,

here is also a little Click-Tip how to do it:

New Roles.gif

Make sure your on the machine where the Report Server is hostet.

Best,

Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Kathrin,

I am not actually on the server hosting report services but I am connected to it using SSMS.  I followed the exact steps you outlined.  I see the new role from SSMS but it doesn't appear in the portal when assigning security.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Jeff

Hi @Anonymous ,

hmmm ...and you have the right roles to check the actual roles? ...Which browser do you use? I know weird question but try it with firefox again....

Best,

Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kathrin,

I tried with IE, Edge and Chrome and the results were the same.  We don't use Firefox.  Some additional information.  Per Microsoft's recommendation we used two servers, one hosting SQL server (A) and the other used for the Power BI Report Server (B).    Apparently the DBA had installed SSRS on server A with the default portal <server>/reports and default databases (ReportServer & ReportServer_tmp).  When we configured PBI Report Server on server B using the Report Server Configuation tool we changed the default portal URL and the default database  names.  With the exception of this role issue everything in the portal works as expected.     If I use the portal created as part of the SSRS install on server A, I see the two new roles I created but again they're missing from the portal created by the PBI Report Server configuration.  I'm sure this is more information than you care to know. 

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Jeff 

Hi @Anonymous , try to open the reporting service via ssms on instance B that should work.

Best,

Kathrin 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Kathrin,

Thank you for your reply.  SQL Server and SSRS are only installed on server A.  There is nothing for SSMS to connect to on server B.  That server has only Power BI Report Server.

Jeff

Hi @Anonymous ,

yes and that is the thing ;).

You think there is nothing but If you have installed the Report Server (see under Windows if you can find the configuration manager) on B than install SSMS on this machine and try to reach the reporting service - you will see this will work. 😉 

Best,

Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Kathrin,
Your suggestion addressed my issue.  I logged on to server B, installed SSMS then connected to the Reporting Services on the local host.  After creating a new role, I was able to see it in under security in the portal.

Thank you very much for your assistance!!

Jeff

Hi @Anonymous , the Report Server is a tricky little thing ;).

Best 

Kathrin 

@Anonymous if you have both SSRS and PBIRS on the one server are you sure that you added the role to the correct instance? Is there a chance you accidentally added the role to the SSRS instance by mistake?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello d_gosbell,

Thank you for your reply.

We have SSRS installed on one server (server A) and Power BI Report Server installed on another server (server B). 
This morning I thought perhaps the web portal configured in the Power BI Configuration Manager is incorrect. 
It's currently  http:\\<server B>\Reports.  Perhaps it should be referencing server A?  I don't want to conflict
with the SSRS web portal on server A.  Thoughts?

Jeff

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I just tried this on my local dev server and it worked fine. I did not need to restart anything, just clicking on edit or add a group or user and the new role appears as something I can assign to a user/group.

2020-07 CustomRole.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @d_gosbell.  That's how it's supposed to work but there must be an issue with my configuration.  I had the DBA review the report service components and he found nothing.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.