Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to review a report without connecting to the data source

Hello all,

I am trying to review a report for my company in Power BI Report Builder, to see if I can improve it visually. This may sound all fine and dandy, but it can actually be quite difficult if you can't display the report visually because you don't have a connection to the data source that is already in the report!

Once I figured out the problem, I emailed my manager. He said "You’re going to have to adjust the data source or create a new one." Problem there is, I'm new to the software and have no idea what he means. The report is already filled in with formulas pointing to the data source that is already in there, so I am not sure what he wants me to do. I can't even look at the query without Report Builder getting all mad at me.

I've been trying to find a solution to this for two days now. Is there a way I can transfer the project to Power BI Desktop or another software? Is there something I need to do to give myself permission to read the dataset? Is there a way to improve the project without looking at it? I am very, very confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I would just be honest with the manager and inform him you don't know Report Builder enough to create a connection, etc. You have a few options:

1. Ask the develop of the report to run it and give you a pdf copy of the report to look at so you can suggest visual enhancements.

2. Get someone in your team to help you get access to the data source so you can run the report yourself. You can easily create a data source if you have access. See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-data/add-and-verify-a-data-connectio...

And yes, you should be able to look at the sql query in Report Builder even without access to the data source.

3. You can't convert/port this report over to Power BI Desktop. You will need to develop it from the ground up; though you can leverage the sql code, logic/formulas. etc.

As I mentioned in the beginning, it is always best to be honest and let your manager know where you need help.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I would just be honest with the manager and inform him you don't know Report Builder enough to create a connection, etc. You have a few options:

1. Ask the develop of the report to run it and give you a pdf copy of the report to look at so you can suggest visual enhancements.

2. Get someone in your team to help you get access to the data source so you can run the report yourself. You can easily create a data source if you have access. See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-data/add-and-verify-a-data-connectio...

And yes, you should be able to look at the sql query in Report Builder even without access to the data source.

3. You can't convert/port this report over to Power BI Desktop. You will need to develop it from the ground up; though you can leverage the sql code, logic/formulas. etc.

As I mentioned in the beginning, it is always best to be honest and let your manager know where you need help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.