Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Named Pipes Error 40

I have a somewhat unique situation and I'm having trouble finding an answer anywhere online.

So I have two servers, both Windows servers 2016. One soley a MySQL server, the other a web server.

I am attempting to set up power bi report server on my web server, when I do this I get the part where I'm attempting to connect to my database. It then gives me an error that it can't connect:

"Could not connect to server: A network-related or instance specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server" ... "(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error 40 - Could not open a conncetion to SQL Server)".

From doing a bit of digging it 'seems' like this is what you get when you use an MSSQL query to try to connect to a MySQL database. However I have installed 'MySQL Connector Net 8.0.16' on the web server, and by default there's a 'Connector NET 8.0' on the mysql server - after installing mysql, so I assumed it wouldn't be a problem. I am new to power bi though, so I'm curious if there's something I've missed? Or some other reason I might be getting this error?

*It should be noted that I am able to connect to this server using my normal methods (usually php connection strings). In addition I opened up port 1433 on both servers just in case.

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have two servers, both Windows servers 2016. One soley a MySQL server, the other a web server.

I am attempting to set up power bi report server on my web server, when I do this I get the part where I'm attempting to connect to my database. It then gives me an error that it can't connect:

Are you getting this error while running the Report Server Configuration? Power BI Report Server needs an MSSQL database in which to store its configuration data. Once that is configured you can then build reports against any other supported data source you like.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, Correct, I am still setting up the configuration.

I was not aware that power bi required MSSQL, I was under the impression that with the connectors it could just use MySQL. So if I set up MSSQL on my SQL server I can use that for the configuration, and then have it connect to the MySQL database for the source. got it, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.