Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DOQR
Regular Visitor

Mysql connector (8.0.29) and gateway not working.

Good day,

After updating mysql connector to version 8.0.29, gateway connection stopped working.

Error mesage: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient'. This error could've been the result of provider-specific client software being required, but missing on this computer. To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'MySQL Connector/Net': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=278885

However, in this site have no 64bit version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
qwepoiurfn
Regular Visitor

I downgraded to 8.0.28, and then it worked!! 

I have a 64 bit server, but installed the X86 version. I saw somewhere that it is built with "Any platform", so it doesn't matter. It's .NET, so it runs on the CLR, I don't think the bits are very relevant actually, since the .NET platform itself will be 64 bit.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DOQR ,

Glad you solved the problem, can you accept the correct answer provided by the user as a solution, so that other users with similar experience as yours can find the answer quickly, thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

JaneLHunt
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks @DOQR,.

This is to confirm that the latest MySQL .Net Connector for Windows 8.0.29 does not work with the Power BI Service.   When trying to connect via a Power BI Gateway Server, it threw the error message:
An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.

I installed previous version of MySQL .net connector 8.0.28 on the Gateway Server and the connection worked fine.

Link to archived MySQL .net connector for Windows. 

Glad I found this post! I was going a bit crazy trying to work out what was wrong - as above installed  8.0.28 - rebooted server and worked with no issues.

qwepoiurfn
Regular Visitor

I downgraded to 8.0.28, and then it worked!! 

I have a 64 bit server, but installed the X86 version. I saw somewhere that it is built with "Any platform", so it doesn't matter. It's .NET, so it runs on the CLR, I don't think the bits are very relevant actually, since the .NET platform itself will be 64 bit.

Dunno why these MS developers upgrading connectors to 8.0.33... I installed got error's in critical stages

then degraded to 8.0.16 it works. 

I delayed to submit an assignment due to this connectivity issue 😓

Note: (>70 applications then got assignment from recruiters as fresher).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone, 

I tried it too, but to no avail. Do you have any other suggestions? 

I have a database behind a SSH but the connection is stable and working. 

I removed all versions of MySQL installed 8.0.28, 27, 16, 17, 18 none of these worked for me. I always installed the bench, shell and the connector.  With 8.0.28 I am getting the error message: MySQL: Reading from the stream has failed.

I am running out of ideas to be honest. 

Does downgrading mean uninstalling the newer and installing the older? Do I need to backup config or anything?

I will answer myself. Uninstall new, re-install old seems to work, no issues.

I installed version 8.0.28 and it worked again! Really no matter the x86 version worked normally.

Glad that it worked! 

Thanks for this thread calling out the real source of connection issue i was having.

I was unable to get power bi desktop to refresh mysql connection data sources in pbix following a repave of my device this past weekend go from a multiple upgrades win11 21h2 install to a clean first pass install of win11 22h2. 

The power bi desktop error confuses things by implying you need a x86 64bit mysql connector/net install and yet when you get to the page the link [ https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=278885 ] sends you to there are only x86 32bit downloads.  I was wasting my time trying to find a 64bit installer assuming that was the issue and not the mysql connector/net 8.0.30 version showing as the most recent download there.

I removed 8.0.30 and went into their archives to download and install the mysql connector x86 32bit 8.0.28 version and power bi desktop pbix mysql connection data sources started working again.  No reboot required. 

Exactly.
For anyone still having this issue, these versions work for me:

juleshorton_0-1703010595519.jpeg

Server                            8.0.34
Workbench                    8.0.32 
Connector/J                   8.0.32
Connector/NET              8.0.32
Documentation              8.0.32
Samples & Examples      8.0.32

Thanks for this detailed, updated info. Any idea if 8.0.35 (the latest version), like 8.0.34, still works, aka doesn't re-introduce the bug like 8.0.33 did?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.