Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My account is not added as system administrator

Hi,

I am installing Power BI Report Server , May 2021 on a blank laptop and when connecting to Report Server it is telling me i am not allowed. This has been a recurring issue and i am looking for the final guide to how do i ensure that the executing account is added as system administrator?

impeterlarsen_0-1622457572789.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Typically the local admin group will be automatically added as an admin. So if you run your browser as admin then login to the portal you should then be able to add your normal account as an admin to the home folder and the system admin roles.

View solution in original post

Petebro
Employee
Employee

The above will work, but you'll have to use Internet explorer as admin specifically because of a quirk of how NTLM and local admin accounts work. You should also be able to connect remotely to the machine you installed RS on to add the username explicitly. 

This is something we are investigating trying to fix for September release.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AdrianBuzgau
Regular Visitor

Hi, I have just installed PowerBI server, and I have remote desktop to the server but I am unable to login to the PowerBI web site it is not adding my account as administrator. How do I add my account as administrator? I have tried to run the browser as Administrator but it did not work. I cannot login as Administrator. Can you help?

Petebro
Employee
Employee

The above will work, but you'll have to use Internet explorer as admin specifically because of a quirk of how NTLM and local admin accounts work. You should also be able to connect remotely to the machine you installed RS on to add the username explicitly. 

This is something we are investigating trying to fix for September release.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Typically the local admin group will be automatically added as an admin. So if you run your browser as admin then login to the portal you should then be able to add your normal account as an admin to the home folder and the system admin roles.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.