Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gritman
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Reports from a single Template (Power Bi Report Builder)

Hello all, 

I've started using the "Power Bi Report Builder" for Pagenated Reports.  Not sure if this is the correct location to ask but here goes: -

I have a data source which contains multiple clients; example below: -

Client, Date, Amount

Client A, 1st Oct, 100

Client B, 5th Oct, 100

Client B, 31st Oct, 100

Client C, 1st Oct, 100

Client C, 5th Oct, 100

Client C, 31st Oct, 100

I have a report tempalte: -

Client, Sum of Sales

Currently it produces a single report with all 3 clients in there: -

Client, Sum of Sales

Client A, 100

Client B, 200

Client C, 300

But what I would like is 3 seperate reports - one for each client: -

Client, Sum of Sales

Client A, 100

Client, Sum of Sales

Client B, 200

Client, Sum of Sales

Client C, 300

I would like to schedule this to run each day so I don't want to have to manually run and input the client name and run on demand.

Does anyone know how to do this please?

Thanks

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Create single paginated report, with input parameter "Client", which filter data only to selected client.

Create three scheduleds of this report, in each schedule you can specify Clinet parameter value.

Additional option (more flexibile) is use Data driven subcriptions, but i'm not sure if are avaliable on PBIRS (i'm using on dedicated SSRS for paginated reports)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@gritman - You could use RLS but this will disable subscriptions. Are you wanting to send emails of the reports to people or are you just wanting them to connect and view the report?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler

The ultimate goal is to send emails to clients with the the reports as attachments.

However my company is developing an in house tool for distribution - so what I ideally need to do is save the reports somewhere with a format like the below; the distribution tool will pick those files up, look-up the email addresses for each client, and send the emails.

So for Power Bi Report Builder - what I need, in this example, is 3 seperate reports each with a different names.

ClientA_Oct.xls

ClientB_Oct.xls

ClientC_Oct.xls

Thanks

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@gritman , the ideal would have RLS and let customers configure scheduler.

You can try the API route and filter bypassing the parameters. There some info here, see if that can help

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/REST-API-Connect-to-POwer-BI-Report-Builder-and-Use-Power-B...

Thanks for the reply @amitchandak .  I'll check the video at the link you posted.

Create single paginated report, with input parameter "Client", which filter data only to selected client.

Create three scheduleds of this report, in each schedule you can specify Clinet parameter value.

Additional option (more flexibile) is use Data driven subcriptions, but i'm not sure if are avaliable on PBIRS (i'm using on dedicated SSRS for paginated reports)

Thanks for the reply josef78.  I set the report with the parameter and set schedules to run the report and send via email.

I also managed to call the report via an api.  So can do 3 api calls to get the results I need two.  so I have a few ways now!

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.