Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ecem_Tunc

Moving from Cloud to On Premise

Hello,

We have a customer that has all his database on Azure Cloud, and they are using reporting enviroment as Power BI Service (also on cloud)

From now on, they want all their data to be on premise, database and reporting included.

They will buy Sql Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance so I guess licensing won't be a problem.

I've found some articles that contains information about moving from Report Server to Power BI Service but no content about vice versa. 

Could this kind of a migration possible?

Any help appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JeanMartinL
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello,

A pbix from the Cloud service can be deployed to Report Server assuming it's not using any of the features unique to the Cloud platform, things like Hybrid model, Many-to-Many, ArcGIS, etc.

There is also a risk if the version used to build the Cloud report is ahead of the RS version, for exemple we couldn't open some recent Cloud files until the October 2020 update and now it works again. It's not always the case however, it depends on the version.

It should be easy enough to test, if you are using an incompatible feature or version it will tell you right away when opening the file in Power BI Desktop for RS, without needing to deploy to the server. At least in my experience.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JeanMartinL
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello,

A pbix from the Cloud service can be deployed to Report Server assuming it's not using any of the features unique to the Cloud platform, things like Hybrid model, Many-to-Many, ArcGIS, etc.

There is also a risk if the version used to build the Cloud report is ahead of the RS version, for exemple we couldn't open some recent Cloud files until the October 2020 update and now it works again. It's not always the case however, it depends on the version.

It should be easy enough to test, if you are using an incompatible feature or version it will tell you right away when opening the file in Power BI Desktop for RS, without needing to deploy to the server. At least in my experience.

pbirs also don't support R and Python.

So you should compage RS and online

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.