Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving Reports from Power BI Service to Report Server

What are the options in moving reports from Power BI Desktop (Cloud version) to the Report Server version of pbix?

I understand that these two (Power BI cloud and Power BI on-prem) uses different versions of the Power BI Desktop software, but is there a way I can easily transfer/ convert format of the pbix I did with the cloud version to the on-prem version?

Thanks! 

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect the answer to this is no.

If your Web Service Reports are in a newer version of Web-PBIDesktop then they won't open or will complain when you open them in SSRS-PBIDesktop.

If you can pull the PBIX files down off the server (save them locally) then you can try opening them in SSRS-PBIDesktop and see if you can then publish the reports to your SSRS-PBI Server. Assuming its all imported data then this has a fair chance of working. What happens when you are using datasets and datasources I have no idea. I'm guessing you would have to edit the datasource settings whne you open the PBIX in SSRS-PBIDesktop and confirm they all work/refresh.

So I think you probably have to do this long hand. It would certainly be worth sharing your experience/findings as you try this.

regards

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.