cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
girinpanda Member

Moving Reports from Power BI Service to Report Server

What are the options in moving reports from Power BI Desktop (Cloud version) to the Report Server version of pbix?

I understand that these two (Power BI cloud and Power BI on-prem) uses different versions of the Power BI Desktop software, but is there a way I can easily transfer/ convert format of the pbix I did with the cloud version to the on-prem version?

Thanks! 

1 REPLY 1
stpnet Established Member
Established Member

Re: Moving Reports from Power BI Service to Report Server

I suspect the answer to this is no.

If your Web Service Reports are in a newer version of Web-PBIDesktop then they won't open or will complain when you open them in SSRS-PBIDesktop.

If you can pull the PBIX files down off the server (save them locally) then you can try opening them in SSRS-PBIDesktop and see if you can then publish the reports to your SSRS-PBI Server. Assuming its all imported data then this has a fair chance of working. What happens when you are using datasets and datasources I have no idea. I'm guessing you would have to edit the datasource settings whne you open the PBIX in SSRS-PBIDesktop and confirm they all work/refresh.

So I think you probably have to do this long hand. It would certainly be worth sharing your experience/findings as you try this.

regards

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 313 members 2,892 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: