Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Monitoring and reporting on usage

Sooo

Old SSRS used to expose some useful perfmon metrics you could monitor. It also had its executionCatalog which would tell you who was accessing what reports and approximately how badly these were performing as you got TimeDataRetrieval, TimeProcessing, TimeRendering values. You also got a pile of additional data related to the datasets and performance in an XML field. So you could see which reports were slow and which bits of which reports were slow.

With PBI-SSRS we seem to have none of this. No perfmon metrics at all! Some new ItemAction types (can anyone point me at any documentation that explain what these are) but TimedataRetrieval, TimeProcessing, TimeRendering are all 0 all the time. There is never any further data.

There's a lot of logging taking place in the installation directory whihc I don't seem to be able to direct somewher elese as per this thread 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Log-Files/m-p/368703#M4233

Tracking failed scheduled data refreshes in PBI reports doesn't seem to be somehting you can monitor in an immediately obvious manner.

Theres a separate request for some info about what's in the log files that are produced here 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-Log-Files-Administration/m-p/3...

So right now, for production environments you basically have to cross your fingers and over provision. You can't really get a detailed understanidng of whats going on. I'm assuming this must be on the backlog somewhere but it really does need to be addressed so that enterprise adoption of this can be undertaken.

many thanks

Steve

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there!

Someone here could help me to know where I can find information details about Tables, Metadata, and description of the tables inside Capacity Metrics and Usage Metrics as well. Some documentaion would help too. Thank you so much

GarthMJ
Regular Visitor

Adding my voice to this and voted for the idea too!

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

some additional performnace metrics are possible get from DMV of integrated SSAS instance, but is not right solution.

Also I want expose perf mon metrics of SSAS and RS components of PBIRS.

rmann
Regular Visitor

ANNOTHER BUMP!

jsavageau
Regular Visitor

*BUMP

I can still gather stats on performance of RDL reports but nothing of much use on PBI Dashboards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah we've manmaged to get some info on who is looking at the PBIX reports and when they are being updated and refreshed but nothing on performance.

We have been using Perfmon to look at the server to see if it was under any stress. The only pain point we found was a large number of reports set to refresh at the same time (8am seems popular) so we spaced them out a bit and that fixed the issue.

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Agree. Really need this! Was so useful with SSRS reports as we knew exactly who is doing what and how long reports are taking to execute etc. 

I suppose we may need to put it out as and "idea"and hope it gets voted enough for Microsoft to consider it. 

*bump*

Wondering if this has gotten any traction? I only found a couple of related ideas to upvote on the Power BI Idea site, and they weren't particularly popular (yet).

rmann
Regular Visitor

MSFT PLEASE ADD THIS BACK!

We use this too in SSRS and not having it in PBIRS is a nightmare.

duelr

Necro bump! How do we get the perfmon data back??? We were using it to collect SSRS data via DataDog's WMI check, now we can't do that at all!

Way to take a step backwards MSFT!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I too don't have a solution to this.  Does anyone have any idea of what is going on here?  I see the same issues with my execution log files and cannot see anything of real value.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.